Recommendations of a Linux Distro in VPC 6.1

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Can anyone recommend a Linux distribution that runs okay in VirtualPC 6.1? I tried installing Mandrake 9.2, but without much success.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Okay, I have to ask... why do you want to run Linux in Virtual PC ?

I have done that before on my ibook using Turbo Linux and the results were purely academic. Meaning it worked but wasn't really useful.

If you need to run Linux apps in OS X, why not try fink ? If you just wanted to get an idea of what it would be like to run Linux on your mac, download a LiveCD for PPC (see Gentoo but I'm sure there are others). And then you can boot a real Linux system and keep it contained in a ramdisk.

I honestly dont see why any version of x86 Linux wouldn't run under VPC... perhaps you didn't set up Mandrake right ?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    http://www.slackware.org

Slackware, the one true Linux distro.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Debian has my vote.

I have installed Redhat in VPC before, Its incredibly easy. Just download the disk ISO's and then click the little CD thing in the bottom of the VPC window and select the first image and choose restart PC in one of the menus, I cant remember which of the top of my head, and boom your done.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Mandrake 9.2 gets my vote. It's very easy to install and has lots of wizards if you dont want to venture through the shell. I run it with KDE and it's really nice.