Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I still want a Knowledge Navigator...
  • Reply 2 of 10
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Pish, it's not the right time to go and prove Scully the Goof right, Knowlage Navigator my bum.

As for the topic, I like the sketches. The person needs to collaborate with someone who's good in CAD, and base it on an IBM PPC 440.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    steve himself has said there will be new markets unheard of when flexible, foldable displays are actually possible at a reasonable quality and price point. it's just an idea exceeding the affordable technologies at this point.

at least it would remind people HOW TO WRITE THINGS BY HAND again. god knows i have a hard time writing anything longer than a post-it note these days.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

at least it would remind people HOW TO WRITE THINGS BY HAND again. god knows i have a hard time writing anything longer than a post-it note these days.

Hehe, yeah my handwriting on the Valentine's Day card I just wrote was embarrassingly scrawled.

Whoops! Next time: Pencil first, then ink, then erase pencil!

She should be glad I didn't write "I love you" in Palm's Graffiti
  • Reply 5 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Next valentines day I will just type out the card and sign my name
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Next valentines day I will just type out the card and sign my name

You can actually sign your name.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Myself in the Apple PDA thread

Someone who's thinking about this the right way 'round. However, the handwriting recognition will make or break it regardless of the drawing capabilities.

I'm more interested in the size. Moleskin for the Pocket and A5 for the tablet. Got me thinking.

How about a PDA with three screens?

It would open just like a moleskin, with two facing pages (screens). You could hold it vertically or horizontally. The easiest way, might have the user open and hold the book horizontally, like a laptop clamshell, and write on the bottom screen while viewing the real-time transcription on the top screen. It's very comfortable for taking notes with one hand while supporting the device with the other, and it solves the screen real-estate problem by doubling up the screens. A landscape orientation, also gives your hand enough room to write large letters more quickly, without having to return to a new line right away. Seeing your actual scrawl on the bottom preserves continuity, while you see the actuall text transcription on the top.

The third screen would just be a tiny OLED on the outside cover, mated to an iPod scroll-wheel. From here you might automatically use any MP3/voice recording functions without actually opening up the device. Since the iPod jog wheel is solid state, a simple circuit can deactivate it whenever you open the case.

The whole thing could be about 2/3rds of an inch thick -- each half of the clamshell about 1/3rd -- one half holding a large battery, and the other half holding the electronic bits and a hard drive.

Benefits:

Small, yet big: it opens up to double the screen real-estate.

Screens are protected from scratchs without the need for any external cover.

Easy to hold and write or draw on.

I have often wanted a device to replace my pad and paper, that could go in my pocket, yet was legible and ergonomic. Add a microphone and a HDD so that I can store and sync a large number of documents/correspondence, and I can throw away three devices -- voice recorder, notepad, MP3 player.

Convenient enough that I would "pay" an Apple tax for it.

To follow up, this doesn't really require a foldable or roll-up screen. Two half screens will do. A small seam is nothing to pay for the convenience of a small device with a legible overall screen size.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    To find out about cool flat displays:

http://www.luxell.com/

A lot of their stuff is also designed to be non-reflective. For example, it is used in airplanes where you do not have the option of getting out of the sun.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    That thing is pretty nice. I think it's a cool idea, and would be the future of PDA's if someone could actually build it.

For now I'd love a tablet.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    So this screen won't crease? I can't imagine a material that would lay flat folded and not wear at the edges over time or at least crease. Then, trying to use the touch screen in the middle of a crease seems like it would be frustrating.