Installing 7200RPM Hard Drive in Powerbook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I want to put a 7200 RPM Hard Drive in my Powerbook, but I want my comp to be set up exactly as it is now.

What is the best way to replace the Hard Drive and "mirror" what was on my old drive? Can I just copy all of the contents on to a firewire drive, replace the hard drive, and copy them back over?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    You can use "Carbon Copy Cloner," aka CCC, for duplicating your old drive to your new one. Do a search on VersionTracker for more information.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    OoOoO won't that decrease your laps battery life significantly? don't they usually keep laptop HD's rpm's 5200 and below for this reason?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

OoOoO won't that decrease your laps battery life significantly? don't they usually keep laptop HD's rpm's 5200 and below for this reason?

Barefeats ran a series of tests comparing 4200/5400/7200 drives. The speed increases more than offset the additional battery drain.

Which brings up an interesting question: with the addition of Bluetooth, Airport, 7200 rpm HDs, and huge amounts of RAM which sap increasingly more amounts of power, Apple needs to make a breakthrough on the battery front.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Which powerbook ?

What OS are you running? (in 10.3 you can clone hd using disc utility)
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

Which powerbook ?

What OS are you running? (in 10.3 you can clone hd using disc utility)

I have the 1.25 15inch Powerbook and I am running 10.3.2.

So I would use the restore feature? If so, once I have created the clone, how do I get it back to the hard-drive once it is installed? OR, do I have to clone the hardrive on to the NEW drive first, and then install it?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

I have the 1.25 15inch Powerbook and I am running 10.3.2.

So I would use the restore feature? If so, once I have created the clone, how do I get it back to the hard-drive once it is installed? OR, do I have to clone the hardrive on to the NEW drive first, and then install it?

I guess you will use your old drive as external FW HD.

In that case:

1.Put your 60GB drive in fw case

2. Use disk utility or CCC to clone your internal drive onto new one.

3. swap them.

You won't need to do any restoring, your PB should boot without any probs.

WORD OF CAUTION:

By swapping drives you most likely will say bye bye to your warranty, as this is not user-servicable part.

If for any reason you have to send your machine to apple for repair don't forget to put the old drive back....

And one more thing, it takes a lot of time to open up 15" ALbook, and even more to put it all back without any gaps.

Label all the screws, and be careful not to bend these little hooks used to keep palmrest/keyboard in place (you'll see what i mean when you open it up)

Good Luck.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    You can clone with Disk Utility? Really?

Does it do the same thing as CCC insofar as copying all the hidden stuff and cleaning up temp files etc?

Does it just create a disk image? I ask because I have an external FW drive that I partitioned into two volumes. One is the size of my PowerBook drive and the other is just used to store software installers, linux disk images, and random crap. Could I make a perfect clone of my drive to a compressed disk image and do a restore from that if need be? And does it make a bootable copy? Thats why I like CCC....I can boot off my backup volume in the event I hose my system and just clone back in the other direction to reset it.

Just throwing some thoughts out there