iChat message sending issues

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I've been getting these messages in iChat on a very regular basis.

The AIM service could not send the message: You have sent too much data too quickly. Please wait a little while before sending more.

I thought this was because I had warnings but that is not the case and even if I switch screen names and make new screen names, I still get this message a lot.

It's really annoying because I can't type for a minute and I have no idea what the problem is.

I first thought it was because of the iChat 2.1 beta but i reverted to 2.0 and it still happens.

What should I do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I dunno. Post in Genius Bar, maybe?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Stop

typing your

chats like

this

where

you're hitting

return all

the

time
  • Reply 3 of 7
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    The AIM servers (through which iChat sends messages) have floodgate-type limitations built-in to disallow you from sending too much text too fast.

So typing

like this

will

probably cause

it

to give

you

problems

if you do it

for

long enough.

It MAY also have limitations on how large ONE SINGLE post can be. Remember, it's a chat service, not a message board or e-mail service.

Posts that are about this long are good to send.

Posts that ramble on and on or that end up being a bunch of short words one right after another will probably be caught. The reason for this is because AOL wants to keep people from just sending flame after flame to someone else like profanities, insults, etc. without having any sort of useful content. And like I said before, posts that are nearly as long as a book should be sent another way.

When you use the actual AIM client from AOL, there's a little stop light thing down in the corner that shows your message flow. The more you type and send very quickly, the closer to red that it gets. Unfortunately this isn't in iChat so you've never seen anything like it to indicate that you're getting close.

I hope this helps.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Yea, the error is caused by typing too much too fast. It gets me all the time though, I type pretty fast, *especially* while I'm just shootin the shit with some friends, I don't hit Return constantly, but I still get snagged by this limit. In the new iChat 2.1 beta, it seems to be far less forgiving than v2.0. I wish there was a way to disable this or set the limit to be a bit higher, ironically, often times I break up long messages into a few medium sized chunks so that the person knows I'm still there(there is some wonkiness with AIM-iChat text typing notification) But then I get slammed with this error and then they end up like "hey? you there?" because I can't respond for a minute or so. \
  • Reply 5 of 7
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I've found that typing ONE SENTENCE per post works out well. Whether long or short, that is a good rule of thumb to go by. Oftentimes, you can even combine two very short sentences together:

"Hey? You there yet?"

"WTF? You're an idiot!"

"I said no. It wouldn't be right."

Your friends can wait an extra 3 seconds for you to type another short sentence. It doesn't have to be as close to real speech as possible.

• Reply 6 of 7
    Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I'm typing pretty fast, in dvorak

But the thing is I think it's an ichat 2.1 thing, since I NEVER had the problem prior and now it's coming up all the time.

Now what puzzles me greatly is that I reverted to iChat 2.0 and the problem persists.

I guess I'll have to reinstall Panther....arg.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You should try being me.

(Note title.)

I get this blasted message ALL THE DAMNED TIME. The only solution is to stop, take a break, and let AIM get its crap together for a few seconds. 10 usually does it, but I've had it block me for up to a couple of minutes.