looking for some advice...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi, i'm new to these forums, but so far they seem to be quite cool . But lets get to the point, i am a 17 year old student (currently PC user), but since the first day my 350Mhz PII PC gave me a "blue screen of death" (of course, loosing a not-so-big-but-important stuff i was writing), i sweared (hope i typed that ok, english is not my mother tongue) my next computer would be a mac. Plus, since i was a child, and my uncle used macs in his job (publishing), i've been in love with macs... sorry for all that stuff, enough history. The point is that i want to trash my PC and buy a new computer, and i've been thinking a portable would be the best chice for me.

I really like the iBook, specially the 600Mhz with combo drive model, but i have a few questions:

I plan to use it for the common stuff (email, web, etc), but i also use a lot a program called reason, which is for making music. It works fine in my PC, but do you think 600Mhz are enough? (i suppose so, and it runs natively on macs, but in the manual says it takes advantage of the velocity engine thing on G4s...)

Also, i would like to do some basic video-edition, is the computer fast enough for this?

BTW, i've seen all this rumors about the ibook being undated soon..., is this true? should i hold on to my PC for a month or two?

Thanks in advance!

sonicnacho

Greetings from Uruguay!

[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: sonicnacho ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    If you're doing both music and video editing and plan on doing it for a while go for a G4. You can get away with a G3 at first but if this is something you plan on getting into then you'll want a G4.

Now, that being said, you should look at you're other needs. If you need portability then you're stuck with the PowerBook series. Otherwise then look at the more expensive but more powerful and professional G4 towers or the less expensive, consumer based G4 iMacs.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Or maybe look for those close out G4 models. They are selling for 'cheap'
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Thanks for the response. I don't have all that money to burn on a Powerbook... but maybe what you said Leonis, an old G4? The new iMac surely looks cool... and is relatively affordable also. I don't know, I think i will wait a little while until i can save up a little more money (that, or when my PC finally dies, whatever hapens first

Anyway, thanks again, and BTW, does anybody use this program i love, "reason" (music sequencing, synths, etc.)?