Views from a first-time Mac Owner

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well... it's been about two weeks now that I've had my first Mac... a cute little 12" G4 iBook. I'll start off with my thoughts on the hardware...

I'm really amazed what Apple (traditionally a bit pricey) has put in this little guy. A decent G4 processor, combo drive, decent 32MB ATI video, real firewire (does anyone else have real firewire in their notebooks?... not those little, unpowered pseudo-firewire thingys that you realize won't power any of your stuff), and USB 2.0. All this in a tiny case with a slot loading drive. I haven't found (and I've looked) anything in the PC market in this price range that comes close to the features in the iBook. Most of the PC notebooks in that size category are the new Centrino based Pentium M processors. Anything close to the iBook is nearly twice the price. I've also noticed that most of the smaller PC notebooks don't have an internal CD drive... so you need to lug that around as well. I don't like the "one button trackpad" thing. I know that's an Apple tradmark whether it's a trackpad on a notebook or a mouse on a desktop. At least with a desktop, you can replace it... with a notebook... ya really don't want to have to carry around an external mouse... and splitting that giant button in half couldn't be a major problem... but I can live with it. Also... from what I can tell... battery life on the iBook bests everything else out there. I know it's no PowerBook... but this was just a learning machine for me... if I decide I like it enough... maybe there will be a PowerBook in my future.

Now... my views on the OS. I'm sure I'm not going to say anything that you haven't already heard here as most of you are likely die-hard Mac fans already... but as a PC person, here are my thoughts... OS X seems to be very responsive with my 833MHz G4 processor. I know a Pentium M processor can probably run circles around my G4... but a big chunk of that power is wasted on a bloated clunky OS like XP. My G4 seems to run OS X at least as well as my Athlon XP 2700 or Pentium 4 2.4GHz runs XP. I'm sure in processor intensive applications, I might notice a difference, but again, my iBook is just for learning. I use it to do some word processing, IMing, web browsing, etc... nothing processor intensive. More power would just be a waste. I like the clean intuitive interface of X. Installing applications is an amazing experience coming from the Windows platform. I just installed Office X. I put the CD in... double clicked on it when it appeared on my desktop and saw the message that said to drag it to the folder I want it in (the Application folder in this case). Was that it? I was sure I must have missed something. What about the whole extracting files, updating system, updating registry, copying files, installing files... that I go through with Windows. I thought it could be easier... but not THAT much easier. I also found the way that entire applications are contained in one package with one icon to be a very clean way of managing applications. Generally, you can just move the package around where you want it... or even to another computer. If I move my Word folder on my Windows machine... everything breaks. If I make a drive change in Windows all the registry entries in Windows get totally screwed up (there are applications that can straighten that out... kinda). Forget just dragging an applications folder in Windows from one machine to another... it'll be useless without all the tenticles attaching it to a thousand other different folders, directories, and registry entries. In short... the way X handles installations is a godsend.

Of course the integration of the OS and the hardware is also a major advantage. I probably don't have to say much regarding how having the same company make the hardware and the OS improves the whole user experience. I don't have to go out and find drivers for hardware that comes installed with my machine and I don't have to worry about how this piece of hardware or that piece of hardware will work (or not work) with the OS (although... with add-on hardware... I guess that can always be a problem).

So... in finishing up... I use my iBook as my exclusive notebook right now. Well... mostly exclusive... I still have to lug out my Vaio notebook from time to time for some apps that won't run on my iBook (and alternatives aren't available). I can see myself with a nice Powerbook down the road.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Nice post to read. You seem to get it.

Welcome.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    So Joey, was it worth the money?

I'm also curious as to what brought you to the decision to switch. We'd love to hear it if you're willing.

Again, welcome to Macintosh!
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Great Post. I've only had a Mac for 4 months or so and you've conveyed a lot of thoughts that I share very well. Thanks
  • Reply 4 of 16
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Welcome to the Mac. Your post was a good read, and you share the feelings of a lot of people that I have switched over to the Mac and OS X.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    Well... I really just wanted to get away from Microsoft.... While I like X more than Windows... I've been using windows for nearly 20 years so I'm comfortable with the OS. I just have a problem with the way Microsoft does business and the way they manage to buy their way out of everything... even our government gave them little more than a slap on the wrist (LOL.. I say that like I should be surprised). My first choice was to move to another OS that I could run on an x86 machine. All the different flavors of Linux out there are useable... but are really not ready as prime time consumer friendly operating systems. My favorite choice was OS X... but there was just never a way for me to try it out on a PC.

Unrelated, I was kind of looking to get one of the new smaller Centrino notebooks. I have an excellent Sony Vaio notebook with a G4 2.4 GHz processor... but it's a bit big and bulky. I really just leave it on my end table in my living room and, with an 802.11g connection, just do some basic web browsing, some word processing, IMing... all while I'm sitting around watching TV. I really didn't need a new notebook so the idea of spending over $2000 for a new Centrino based one was pushing my ability to justify it to myself.

The iBook seemed like the ideal choice. At about $1,100 it was a way better deal than any Centrino. The 833MHz G4 processor was more than enough power for what I would actually use it for. I wasn't getting another PC notebook, so it didn't seem like a waste of $$. I've got the OS that I've been wanting to play around with for a while, and I got away from Microsoft (well... I did put Office on it). Apart from being out About $1,400 (after the Airport Extreme card and extra 512MB of memory)... everything else was a plus.

So it was a variety of reasons that led me to get the iBook... and a totally different set of reasons (as listed in my first post) that will likely keep me on the Mac platform.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    833MHz? You mean 800Mhz probably....

Yes, the iBook is very portable indeed... a friend bought a state of the art PC laptop recently and the battery lasts 1.5 hrs max. If you want to plug in the AC, the adapter is the size of a 1 litre milk carton and weighs nearly twice as much. Imagine carrying that around. My iBook battery lasts for about 4hrs and AC adapter fits into my pocket.

Yessir... iBooks rule

.h
  • Reply 7 of 16
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Joey

I have an excellent Sony Vaio notebook with a G4 2.4 GHz processor... but it's a bit big and bulky.

Looks like the G4 has already taken you over .

Quote:

Originally posted by Joey

I still have to lug out my Vaio notebook from time to time for some apps that won't run on my iBook (and alternatives aren't available)

If these applications are not processor and graphics hungry, you could avoid lugging the Vaio by installing VirtualPC in the iBook. I don't know though if you can still buy VPC with Win2k (the better choice if you want acceptable performance and stability) now that Microsoft owns the software.

By the way, nice to hear you like so much your iBook and OS X .
  • Reply 8 of 16
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I love you.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Eugene? YOU on something man?

A note about VPC. You should still be able to find bare versions -- WITHOUT WINDOWS. YOu can then get any flavor of Windows that you like to go with it, and more than one if the mood strikes you.

Question: What's generally the fastest flavor of windows to use in VPC 6 ???
  • Reply 10 of 16
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

I think overall it is Win98. However, I tried Win2k and Win98 in my first generation 12" aluminum Powerbook, and the (not that great) difference is not worth the stability sacrifice. If the two parameters, stability and speed, are to be taken into account, Win2k is the obvious answer.

I tried also WinMe... ... oh my...
  • Reply 11 of 16
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    Oops.. yeah... meant 800MHz... (must have been thinking 933MHz for the 14")...

And yeah... it seems I subconsciously referred to my P4 notebook as a "G4" notebook... go figure
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I think overall it is Win98. However, I tried Win2k and Win98 in my first generation 12" aluminum Powerbook, and the (not that great) difference is not worth the stability sacrifice. If the two parameters, stability and speed, are to be taken into account, Win2k is the obvious answer.

You actually tried Windows ME? As a Windows ME user, I offer my condolences. It's a very experience indeed.

Thanks for the review, by the way. I was looking into the 12-inch iBook as it's replaced the eMac as my prime candidate. After all, I don't want to be a Windows ME user any longer than I have to.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    *looks for big stick - with a nail in it - and considers booking a flight to Northern California*

How would Eugene's head look mounted over my fireplace?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Win95, hands down. However, it's not very useful, considering you can no longer download updates for it. You'll be stuck with IE 4.5, which is basically broken for many web sites nowadays, unless you go for a third-party browser. And you can't download any of the other useful MS updates either.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

*looks for big stick - with a nail in it - and considers booking a flight to Northern California*

As long as you speak softly.

(Sorry in advance, I couldn't resist.)
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I've only ever owned a Windows computer with ME on it. Its strange how PC users often talk about how a 4-6 year-old OS (Win98/Win2k) is better (more stable/faster) than the current Microsoft OS

The only progress in Mac OSX I have experienced with Apple is the change from Jaguar to Panther (up to the current 10.3.2.) and I think things are getting better and better