Urinal pucks?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Haven't started an AO thread in a long time, this seemed right.

While taking a piss today, I had a pensive moment: what do those things actually do? Who thought of it? Why do they disintegrate? And if they're so neccessary, why don't I have one, or its functional equivalent, in my bathroom at home?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Lotta piss from a lotta men = lotta smell. Those things reduce the oder that tends to build up inside a toilet.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Many guys (particularly engineer and preppy types) don't know how to flush toilets and they help kill the smell.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Odor eaters for the public bathroom? Would it be a problem if they just flushed the things regularly.

I hate those timed flush systems where you have to hunt around for a urinal without a nice yellow pool in it. I of course never flush, unless I can hit the flush with my shoe, this goes for toilets and for urinals, luckily, I'm tall.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    urinal pucks kinda taste funky...but i guess they are there as a post piss breath freshener...at lest that is what they told me in middle school...i don't want to have bad manners

g
  • Reply 5 of 18
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    "Urinal puck eroding... ERODING... ERODING... GONE!!! " -Homer Simpson

• Reply 6 of 18
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    I love this thread. <trips over keg>

Trivia: are these really urinal cakes or blocks of Sex Wax?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Dunno, what are the differences in flavor?
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Not sure about flavor...but man are those things like greased lightnin' on the ice! Lookout Redwings!

(that talking banner ad at the bottom of the screen FREAKED ME OUT while I was typing this!)
  • Reply 9 of 18
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    The pucks are there so you can play hockey while you pee. Since men can only have one thought in their heads at the time it make sure that we don´t do other things that would seem obvious when having you penis in your hand.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Being a construction guy of 20 years I have had the pleasure of reading some of the best and worst quotes ever scribed on bathroom walls. One of my favorite port-o-let graffitis is: "the sink is too low, and the breath mints too big". The sink part really gets me laughing when the urinals are almost over flowing from some ars plugging them with TP.

and it's no wonder they plug up so easily, the toilet paper seems more like cash register reciept paper, that stuff just aint right.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    classy places use ice instead of pucks. still gets rid of the smell, and is more fun to pee on.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by MagicFingers

Being a construction guy of 20 years I have had the pleasure of reading some of the best and worst quotes ever scribed on bathroom walls. One of my favorite port-o-let graffitis is: "the sink is too low, and the breath mints too big". The sink part really gets me laughing when the urinals are almost over flowing from some ars plugging them with TP.

and it's no wonder they plug up so easily, the toilet paper seems more like cash register reciept paper, that stuff just aint right.

That's a classic one. I've seen that before a few times.

. . . The fam is in the construction business. I worked construction in the summer a few times during high scool and college.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

classy places use ice instead of pucks. still gets rid of the smell, and is more fun to pee on.

huh?
  • Reply 14 of 18
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Is that why they use ice? I never really thought about it, but it makes perfect sense.

And yes, it is more fun. Something about eroding that mountain of ice just brings out the five year old in me.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Ice? I have to to start using the bathroom when I go to restraints more often.

Off topic but on a related bathroom note. Not just in public places, but what are toilet manufacturers thinking?! At *NO* point should I have to worry about touching the inside of the bowl with what makes me a man. And if that isn't your concern, in some of those public bathrooms you have to use the levitate method not to be in the water!

SICK AS HELL I TELL YOU

Now luckily I don't have to shit often in public, but sometimes when you have to go you have to go. Even sometimes people have shitty toilets at their house!
  • Reply 16 of 18
    i used to put those biodegradable packing peanuts in the loo, smelled like oatmeal.

this man has a urinal cake problem.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Ice? I have to to start using the bathroom when I go to restraints more often.

Off topic but on a related bathroom note. Not just in public places, but what are toilet manufacturers thinking?! At *NO* point should I have to worry about touching the inside of the bowl with what makes me a man. And if that isn't your concern, in some of those public bathrooms you have to use the levitate method not to be in the water!

SICK AS HELL I TELL YOU

Now luckily I don't have to shit often in public, but sometimes when you have to go you have to go. Even sometimes people have shitty toilets at their house!

any one else find it funny that he says "shit" several times, yet shies away from "penis"?
  • Reply 18 of 18
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

any one else find it funny that he says "shit" several times, yet shies away from "penis"?

I have no problem with saying penis but it's just not a very fun word. It's like saying..."I'm going to the bathroom to urinate" instead of "I'm going to the bathroom to take a piss"