Does iPhoto4 suck less?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey all,

I have iPhoto2, and it's just. Way way slow. I have about 5,000 photos, most of which are really, really huge, and iPhoto2 is just. So. Slow.

Is Iphoto4 better? I don't want to go pay for it if it's not! (:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by jethro1138

Hey all,

I have iPhoto2, and it's just. Way way slow. I have about 5,000 photos, most of which are really, really huge, and iPhoto2 is just. So. Slow.

Night and day.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Night and day.

I'll take that as a "Yes" (:
  • Reply 3 of 17
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    It's definitely better. I'm not sure if it's worth $50 just to upgrade iPhoto, but if you are going to use the other applications as well, then $50 is a great price.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

It's definitely better. I'm not sure if it's worth $50 just to upgrade iPhoto, but if you are going to use the other applications as well, then $50 is a great price.

iPhoto is really the only one I use, but it's not like I can buy it alone.

I really kinda regret moving all my stuff to iPhoto... maybe I should just move it all back to Just Using A Flat Directory Structure.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Using folders can work pretty well. Get an application called "Simple Image Browser X" for browsing the images. You can't edit any of them, but it is very fast for just browsing through folder structures.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    When Steve Jobs brought out the iLife apps, he said that iPhoto's biggest new feature was "speed". He wasn't kidding.

And since iPhoto is in iLife, this thread belongs in Digital Hub. Moving...
  • Reply 7 of 17
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    I have about 7500 photos, most of them around 2 MB (11.6 GB total). Using iPhoto 2 on my Dual 2GHz G5 was unbearably slow. In contrast, iPhoto 4 is very usable on my 500 MHz PowerBook G4.

See if you can't get an education or government discount.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Doesn't seem faster for me, actually slower. And buggy. Sometimes when I double click or hit the Edit button it won't go to Edit view. Hoping for a quick update.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Hey all,

It's definitely much faster.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Doesn't seem faster for me, actually slower. And buggy. Sometimes when I double click or hit the Edit button it won't go to Edit view. Hoping for a quick update.

Care to elaborate? How many pictures do you have? Under iPhoto 2 switching to Edit would bring up the beach ball for at least 10 seconds. iPhoto 4 it is under 2 seconds. The time difference is even bigger for things like changing the name of a picture. I gave up on changing picture names because it would bring up the beach ball for 30 seconds. Now there is no noticeable delay.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Hey all,

Compared to iPhoto2 iPhoto4 is Ultra-Snappy!
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

iPhoto is really the only one I use, but it's not like I can buy it alone.

I really kinda regret moving all my stuff to iPhoto... maybe I should just move it all back to Just Using A Flat Directory Structure.

Maybe...but then how much is your time worth? iPhoto is a very good tool that provides you many conveniences that your suggested approach would not. Perhaps you don't need them. Cool. But don't forget about things like:

- keywords/meta-data

- exporting/transferring to a variety of targets easily

- organizing in multiple ways

- ratings (iPhoto 4)

- smart albums (iPhoto 4)

- quick and easy photo corrections

and much more.

For me, my life is too short to waste much of it creating my own "home grown" solutions to things like iPhoto and such. But that's me.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    I use iPhoto once every blue moon for my wife to order prints. For that purpose, I import individual folders, and delete the iPhoto database after we're done ordering prints. That keeps iPhoto reasonably responsive. I refuse to pay $50 for a new version of iPhoto. But I'll gladly use the new iPhoto when I get it with a new PowerBook later this year.

Other than that, Lemke Soft's GraphicConverter serves my image browsing needs infinitely better.

Escher
  • Reply 14 of 17
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

Compared to iPhoto2 iPhoto4 is Ultra-Snappy!

Too right. I was expecting a bit of improvement but I wasn't prepared for the huge leap in performance. I stuck with iPhoto 3 as there isn't really anything else on the market to compete with it for all round integration, but iPhoto 4 is worth every penny (cent - whatever). It's not just scrolling but deleting files and rotating pics, everything is snappy now:-) iLife '04 has got to be the best value software pack I ever bought.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Hell, even I paid for it. That should tell you something.

iPhoto is actually useable now.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proxy

I stuck with iPhoto 3 as there...

Just for future reference, there is no iPhoto 3. It jumped from 2 to 4.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Just for future reference, there is no iPhoto 3. It jumped from 2 to 4.

Apart from the one Apple specially released for me ..... Wahh.. major blunder!!

Thanks for setting me straight anyway Cosmonut