Problems Upgrading from Safari v85

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This sucks, I've been working for months to try and get Safari to upgrade from 1.0V85 because of all the Safari - flash incompatibilities. It's driving me crazy! Is there anything I can do short of a full reboot. I download the update and have tried the internal SU, but after I install the new update, it's the same ol version, same ol problems. Half the sites I frequent use flash a lot.

PLEASE HELP!

Even helping me fully uninstall Safari and getting around root access would be a godsend. I just want to erase enough of it that it needs to do a full install.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Have you tried downloading the latest Flash plug-in too?

Check to see if Quicktime is trying to handle flash files instead of the Macromedia plug-in. QT's Flash support is for older versions of Flash content and can't handle the latest stuff. Look in your Quicktime preferences, in the plug-in tab, and clock on the MIME settings button. If Flash is checked for QT to play back, uncheck it. Also, look in the Hepl meni for Safari and select the Installed Plug-ins item. It should tell you what is handling Flash content and if the Flash-plug-in is installed correctly. Installing the latest Flash/Shockwave plug-ins should be able to fix all of this. At least, I think that's what fixed my computer.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    This doesn't really belong in an eight-month old thread that was about the announcement of this version of Safari. I'm splitting it off into it's own thread and moving it to the Genius Bar.

That said, what version of Mac OS X are you running? The latest version of Safari 1.2 (v125) is only available for Mac OS X 10.3 or higher.

The first big problem that sticks out from your post is that it appears that you've been using root access to change things. Bad! Bad! There are plenty of posts around here explaining why using or even enabling the root user is a terrible thing to do; so, I won't get into that. The first thing I would suggest you do is to run Disk Utility's Repair Permissions function.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

This doesn't really belong in an eight-month old thread that was about the announcement of this version of Safari. I'm splitting it off into it's own thread and moving it to the Genius Bar.

That said, what version of Mac OS X are you running? The latest version of Safari 1.2 (v125) is only available for Mac OS X 10.3 or higher.

The first big problem that sticks out from your post is that it appears that you've been using root access to change things. Bad! Bad! There are plenty of posts around here explaining why using or even enabling the root user is a terrible thing to do; so, I won't get into that. The first thing I would suggest you do is to run Disk Utility's Repair Permissions function.

First of all, I downloaded the latest 1.2 Safari for Jaguar as indicated per the Apple Website (you could choose Jaguar or Safari), did the update, whole 9 yards... nothin.

As for the Root Access thing, I haven't been using it, I was just throwing an idea up in the air on how to potentially fix it. I know enough to get around OS X pretty proficiently, but as for the real down and dirty work, that's not my area of expertise. That's why I came here for help.

I have just played around with Flash settingsand downloaded the most up to date version, appears to have made a few things work. It's that pesky one little setting. I'm still interested to see if Safari is updated to full 1.2 (abou box still notes 1.0 v85) so I don't know if it's really updated, but that just can't change for some reason. *shrug*

Oh well.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Guess it was an oversight, thought it said 1.2 for both.