ATi driver updates

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
ATi just released updates, and so did Apple (although TomeViewer makes these updates seem a bit dusty, they're from August, and AGP only apparently?)

I haven't seen a topic on this.. I'm surprised! Anyone out there tried this in a Blue & White G3 rev 1, or a new iceBook (Dual USB)??

If only I was rich enough for AGP or a new Retail ATi card. So, does the "Retail" update help Blue & White G3's with the original card, or the new iBook?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatik:

<strong>ATi just released updates, and so did Apple (although TomeViewer makes these updates seem a bit dusty, they're from August, and AGP only apparently?)

I haven't seen a topic on this.. I'm surprised! Anyone out there tried this in a Blue & White G3 rev 1, or a new iceBook (Dual USB)??

If only I was rich enough for AGP or a new Retail ATi card. So, does the "Retail" update help Blue & White G3's with the original card, or the new iBook?</strong><hr></blockquote>

This update is for G4's w/AGP 4x only...and is for OS 9.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    The update from ATI will update drivers in both Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X 10.1.x. It provides support back to the Rage128 cards I believe. So you really just need to have an ATI card on your box, and this update will work. If you want to have updated drivers in both OS 9 and OS X, you must run the installer once in Mac OS X, and once in Mac OS 9.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I installed the update on my iBook 600 12.1" combo, and I haven't noticed any performance increase. The iBook seems to be somewhat buggy as well. Like when I unplugged the AV cable from the TV after the display sleep was triggered, and I couldn't get the display to wake up without a reboot. Also, today, window redraw got screwed up totally, with the window drawing and leaving a trail of multiple copies of itself as I dragged it around the screen; all windows were affected. I relaunched the finder, no effect. Then logged out and back in - nothing. I restarted the iBook, and now it seems fine. Note that I've had no trouble with this iBook until I installed the ATi retail update. Although I'm not certain that the update is the cause of the "buggy" behavior", it's the only thing I've installed recently.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I would strongly suspect that a laptop is the last place you want to put a retail video driver; you can't get more OEM than a chip that's soldered to the motherboard. It would not surprise me if ATI doesn't even test the retail drivers with the laptops.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Is there any way to "uninstall" the update?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I have a G4/466 with an Nvidia card, and given the balkiness of the drivers so far, I have usually made backup copies when updating them. What you do -- if you have a backup copy of the drivers -- is simply go into the extensions folder and replace the new ATI extensions with the old ones. (take the bad ones out of the extensions folder and put them in a separate file, then place the good ones in the extensions file, and they will take effect on restart). If you don't have a backup copy, check on the Apple site to see if they have recently posted an ATI driver update of their own; I would strongly suspect they have. Then use Apple's ATI driver installer to put the OEM drivers on the computer. If that's not an option, then you'll either have to do a Software Restore; or a system reinstall; or, if you're more technically proficient than I am, use Tome Viewer to extract the ATI drivers from the Apple system CD and deal with it that way.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    That sounds easy enough to me. Thanks.