Buying my first Mac.......

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I currently have 2 windows computers. 1 is a server in my home wireless network. The other is a notebook that runs internet access off the wireless server.

I want to buy a mac. But I have few questions:

If I bought a PowerMac G5 to replace the server, would my windows notebook still be able to access the G5 for file sharing and internet access, printing, etc?

Conversely, if I bought a powerbook, would the powerbook be able to access the windows server for internet, printing, etc?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Len

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Yes, yes, and yes.--At least I'm almost positive if I understand what youre asking, then yes!!!

Welcome to the club, congratulations.

From Apple's website. Macs have been doing this for years, connecting to PC networks via modem, Ethernet and (more recently) industry-standard WiFi (we call 802.11b-based wireless networking AirPort on the Mac). The only difference is that now it?s a lot faster and easier with Mac OS X. UNIX-based and built with the networking technologies that do the heavy lifting on the Internet, Mac OS X lets you connect to PC networks and share files and printers with Windows-based PCs on those networks.

Here is how to do it!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I have a PowerBook, and a PC server, talking via an Airport card on the PB and a WiFi adaptor on the PC. It was a lot easier to get th Airport working with the network than it was my old PC laptop... Wireless printing now often happens here. The only problem I have now is that MacOS X refuses to remember my share's passwords.

I doubt there would be any problem the other way around, either.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Hi there

I recently bought an iPod and fell in love with it - so much so that I am about to buy a Mac for personal use. However, I know very little about them.

I use a PC for business purposes, with Windows XP, so I suspect that I will struggle a little with the different interface and software. That doesn't bother me too much, but my real concerns are about using files from friends and colleagues via email or on discs etc. If I buy an eMac for example with MAC 0S X, how difficult will accessing or sharing files be?

Any advice for a first time MAC buyer will be gratefully received including memory concerns, hard drives, internet or broadband access etc

Regards

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by davidwelsh

Hi there

I recently bought an iPod and fell in love with it - so much so that I am about to buy a Mac for personal use. However, I know very little about them.

I use a PC for business purposes, with Windows XP, so I suspect that I will struggle a little with the different interface and software. That doesn't bother me too much, but my real concerns are about using files from friends and colleagues via email or on discs etc. If I buy an eMac for example with MAC 0S X, how difficult will accessing or sharing files be?

Any advice for a first time MAC buyer will be gratefully received including memory concerns, hard drives, internet or broadband access etc

Regards

Dave

I had the same concerns back in 2001 when I got my iBook. I've never had any troubles sharing files back and forth with my PC using friends. I've been able to connect with basically every network I've come accross and can read any CDs or DVDs people throw at me!

I'm sure you'll be frustrated with the interface at first- but once you start learning the secrets and little tips and stuff- OS X is much better than XP! I've switched a few of my friends over too. Most recently my friend switched from a gateway notebook to a 12" powerbook. THEY LOVE IT! The only thing they don't like so far is getting used to the new interface- I try to teach them the tricks of the trade every now and then- it seems to help out and impress them more as they learn about OS X.

HAPPY SWITCHING!

-john