Nader 2004

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Here he comes once again. Will he play the "spoiler?" I for one am all for him running, me makes a good point about how this shouldn't be just a two party system. What do you think?

Nader 2004

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    I like the man and what he stands for. However right now we have the worst possible choice in the Whitehouse and need to get rid of him. If the majority of voters that won't vote for Bush will vote for Nader that's fine. However if he divides the non-Bush voting block and allows Bush a second term that's not fine at all. Right now more than anything we need someone who'll be capable of beating Bush and getting him out of power. That's what's most important right now. It should be even to people who'd support Nader.

Remember Bush will do a lot more damage in another 4 years.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I don't like him for what he stands for but do like him for standing up for what he believes.

This time around he doesn't have the Greens backing him. No way he'll be able to suck as many votes from Kerry as he did with Gore. Maybe he'll make a difference and maybe he won?t. We'll have to wait and see.
  • Reply 3 of 62
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Well if he wants to run, and he also wants to prove he doesn't want to be a spoiler, he should only seek to be on the ballot in states that won't be 'swing states'. He got on 42 ballots last time. How about not being on the ballot in NH or FL for example?
  • Reply 4 of 62
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Nader did not cost the Democrats the 2000 election, Gorebot did. Try sucking less and maybe you'll get the Nader vote. Grow a spine and the people that voted for him might like you.
  • Reply 5 of 62
    I like nader a lot, of all the presidential candidates past and present he always struck me as one of the most rational and intelligent out there, and I admire his steadfast even against insurmountable odds.

I was watching the Press conference today, and he had a lot of good things to say. He had something that were kind of wonky, a lot of "Repiblicrats!, I'm calling you out" type attitude, but really, in his position, I see no harm in that. One thing that struck me about this press conference was how it was so.. informal, almost unprofessional, very refreshing from the same cut and dry bullshit that is being served up most of the time.

My friend told me(I can't confirm this) that bush, and I'm assuming clinton, and bush, and reagan...etc. too, control who is at press conferences like these, and likewise they only select the people that won't ask the tough questions, and the ones that will give them an opportunity to spew their stuff. However with Nader, being independent and much smaller on the scale of things, does not screen his interviews like this, and likewise he gets people that are genuine and *do* ask the tough questions. As I said, I can't really vouch for the authenticity of the aforementioned, but that aside, If this is the case, then I respect nader even more.

it seems to me that if the dems lose the election, they will blame nader, even if he barely rakes in anything in terms of votes, that's kind of sad. But I guess people are always looking to pass the blame away from them.

\
  • Reply 6 of 62
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    It's about time someone tried to galvanize the voting populous. So what if we have another 4 years of the neo-cons in office if it means that politicians learn to stop placating and pandering to people in the future. I think it's good for the country even if it means that GWB wins again.

And, to reiterate what groverat said, Nader did not cost the Dems the election. It was either stolen in Florida (Katherine Harris) or they just didn't do a good enough job of winning the votes. You can't blame Nader because all of a sudden 2.7% of the population didn't vote for the lesser of two evils and instead voted for who they thought was the best candidate.
  • Reply 7 of 62
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Nader did not cost the Democrats the 2000 election, Gorebot did. Try sucking less and maybe you'll get the Nader vote. Grow a spine and the people that voted for him might like you.

Yes, but Nader still cost Democrats the election because our voting system allowed him to.
  • Reply 8 of 62
    Quote:

Yeah, that's the ticket, go further left so that the centrists, the majority of American voters, don't vote for you, but hey at least you'll have Nader's votes. Maybe. But even that's a toss-up.

Need I remind you that Gore got the popular vote in 2000
  • Reply 9 of 62
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Yes, but Nader still cost Democrats the election because our voting system allowed him to.

No he didn't. The antiquated electoral college cost the democrats the vote. If anything needs to be changed look directly at the ****ed up system we've got in place.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    Nader turns 70 this friday! old dude.
  • Reply 11 of 62
    The idiotic Nader voters put orthodoxy ahead of efficacy and wanted the Democrats to move hard to the left. That's nonsense. There is no way to adequately please the 2.7% of fanatics who backed Nader and hold onto the much larger portion of moderates. Gore could have claimed Nader's 2.7%, but at the cost of 10% in the middle.

It's a two party system, and due to its structure can never be anything but. Voting for a third party is effectively a vote in favor of the major party that is FURTHEST from your interests.

Kirk
  • Reply 12 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

No he didn't. The antiquated electoral college cost the democrats the vote. If anything needs to be changed look directly at the ****ed up system we've got in place.

It's simple. Nader's candidacy ultimately siphoned off enough votes in key states to allow George W. Bush to win. You can't get around that fact.

(I defer to our political science expert, Kirkland, on the specifics)
  • Reply 13 of 62
    I do not give a shit about making sure Democrats win any elections. I am not a Democrat.

I have wacky ideas about stuff like civil rights and corporate responsibility and maybe doing good by mother nature. That makes me a loony lefty here, whereas I think it is rather moderate of me. Whatever. I do not care.

I will likely vote for Nader in 2004 like I did in 2000. I may not pick the winning horse but at least I will have honestly voted with my conscience.

Dean had a chance at winning me over to the Dem side, but then he acted like someone slapped him in the face when they asked if he supported gay marriage. And then he dropped out. Bye bye Democrats.

If you Democrats want to beat Bush by acting more like Bush that is your own business, do not expect me to participate in your imitation parade.

I owe the Democrat party nothing. Fake "liberal" bastards.
  • Reply 14 of 62
    Quote:

I will likely vote for Nader in 2004 like I did in 2000. I may not pick the winning horse but at least I will have honestly voted with my conscience.

But you're not voting with your conscience. Your conscience tells you that you're effectively voting for Bush. That isn't a bad thing, given that the Democratic nominee has *NO* chance of winning Texas anyway...
  • Reply 15 of 62
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Your vote will be Naderiffic! and completely meaningless.
  • Reply 16 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Ah, yes, the screed of the political ignorant: "Damn the Electoral College!"

Yes, let us cast aside the Electoral College, and turn the entire presidential race into a horserace in New York City, LA, Houston and Boston.

The Electoral College ensures that voters who are in our plains states have a voice, because they have important issues to raise that don't show up on the political radar in the cities. A straight-popular vote race would mean that only a couple states get any attention ? why run a national campaign when you can finish about even in most of the nation and run up a big win in one or two states and swamp your opponent?

The Electoral College ensures that the president is nationally chosen. And it tracks well with the popular vote, as well.

It'll also never go away, so don't be an idealist, and learn to accept it.

Kirk
  • Reply 17 of 62
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    He's not the only one. Bush didn't win the popular vote. That means some americans voted for nothing. Even before the election people were calling for reform of the electoral college. The last election was a good example of why.
  • Reply 18 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

[B]Bush didn't win the popular vote. That means some americans voted for nothing.

No, he didn't. The popular vote was effectively a tie, however. Just like the electoral vote. It just so happens that the tie edged a bit in one direction in the popular vote and a bit in the other direction in the electoral vote. Usually the electoral vote amplifies the margin of the popular vote (like if Gore had won Florida, his electoral victory would have been much larger than his popular victory). In an election that is either razor-close or muxxed up by third parties,

Quote:

Even before the election people were calling for reform of the electoral college. The last election was a good example of why.

The Electoral College will never be undone, nor largely reformed. The smaller states would never allow it.

Kirk
  • Reply 19 of 62
    ShawnJ:

Quote:

But you're not voting with your conscience. Your conscience tells you that you're effectively voting for Bush. That isn't a bad thing, given that the Democratic nominee has *NO* chance of winning Texas anyway...

You know what my conscience tells me?

"meaningless votes"...

Poor petty, angry little Democrats. Have one of your candidates take a stand on an important issue and I will pay attention. Sorry ladies, but RepublicanLite doesn't do it for me.

Democrat votes will "mean nothing" if that is your logic, Bush is going to win.

I feel no need to validate my choices against a mass of people.
  • Reply 20 of 62
    Quote:

ShawnJ:

You know what my conscience tells me?

"meaningless votes"...

Poor petty, angry little Democrats. Have one of your candidates take a stand on an important issue and I will pay attention. Sorry ladies, but RepublicanLite doesn't do it for me.

Democrat votes will "mean nothing" if that is your logic, Bush is going to win.

I feel no need to validate my choices against a mass of people.

My point is that you're effectively voting for the Republican! Who's voting with his conscience here? Now, you're even more willing to sacrifice your principles than I am- despite the fact that we would favor the same candidate if all things were equal. It's an undeniable paradox of voting in this country.

Kirkland said it best: "voting for a third party is effectively a vote in favor of the major party that is FURTHEST from your interests."