Newest fake iPod... INSIDE your iPaq.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
http://starbriteltd.com/

Have to hand it to them... it's pretty clever.

Could Apple win a suit over this? It's not an exact copy of the ipod after all, and the scroll wheel patent might only cover a physical part. I'm telling you, though, if I had a pocket PC, I'd buy this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    i dont think apple could win a law suet, they should win but this is like a game emulator, software isnt hardware, btw, ever heard of object doc, did apple ever sue them, i think i remember a futile attempt

Quote:

if I had a pocket PC, I'd buy this.

they stole from apple so steal from them
  • Reply 2 of 9
    That's a great little idea, but most iPAQ's only have 256-512mb of storage... can't compete with 10GB+ :-)
  • Reply 3 of 9
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    More than the scroll wheel, isn't the iPod OS Patented? That's really what they are emulating, and that might win a suit.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    first of all, thats fugly, but also, given the fact that its HP, i bet apple would either be ok with it or would be able to somewhat alter the design to whatever they feel is best.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    As long as they didn't use iPod code (they didn't) then Apple cannot sue them... mimicing software by writing your own version of it from scratch is not illegal. If it were there could be only one kind of PHP bulletin board, or one type of Window-esque operating system.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Studio896

As long as they didn't use iPod code (they didn't) then Apple cannot sue them... mimicing software by writing your own version of it from scratch is not illegal. If it were there could be only one kind of PHP bulletin board, or one type of Window-esque operating system.

If the underlying code is not the same but the interface is exactly the same, there can be a winnable lawsuit for Apple. What would happen if an auto manufacturer came out with the same body as the competitor, but claimed that since it had a V4 and not a V6, that it is completely different?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

first of all, thats fugly, but also, given the fact that its HP, i bet apple would either be ok with it or would be able to somewhat alter the design to whatever they feel is best.

It's not HP, it's a company that made a graphic of their software "running" on an iPAQ. HP has nothing to do with it.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Studio896

Um, except there is this thing called Trade Dress. If Apple can prove that the software hurts the iPod brand by being an exact clone they have a very winnable case.

Also looking at that picture, it's using the same font as the iPod (Design gurus feel free to correct me) which if I'm not mistaken was Chicago, an Apple owned font. So if they are using Apple's font without permission they are very liable.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Ha ha ha leave them alone this is ingenious, they deserve to make some money on this one. You should be kicking yourself for not doing it first.

Can I jog with it?