G5 Panther

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does anyone know of a way to install the Panther CD from a G5 onto a Quicksilver G4?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    That depends.

The Software Restore CDs that come with a computer typically are written to only work on that computer.

If you are referring to the standard black-with-metal-X CDs for Mac OS X 10.3, then they should install just fine on any supported computer.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I'm not saying it was me... but I know someone who made a disc image of his G5 install DVD, burnt it onto a new DVD and sent it to a friend with a G4. Legend has it that this technique worked. Personally I think such file sharing is a filthy, dirty practice and would never recommend such things to my friends.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I've never had trouble getting a "Software Install" CD to work on a computer it wasn't meant for. However, "Software Restore" won't work.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    if you can find the software .pkg file on the disc, then it should work just by double clicking them.

It could take some looking around in the terminal

% cd /Volumes/

(cd = change directory)

The G5 "restore" disc that comes with every G5 is a DVD format disc. This disc includes Hardware test, Software Restore, and Software install...so you should be good as american pie.

-walloo.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    It installed just fine as is!