fsck questions

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I tried searching the forums for the keyword fsck but couldn't find an answer for my question. Apple's support forums are too slow to be useful. So...

1. How do I boot up the computer in single user or safe mode so that I can run fsck on the boot partition? I have been booting off the install CD and running disk utility and it is a pain to do so.

2. My computer (iMac) is missing /etc/fstab. Isn't fsck supposed to read mount information from that file?

3. I have trouble with Mirror Agent. I have a broadband ISP that requires me to logon via a website. (they have a client for windoze) To avoid problems with iDisk synchronization, I have set it to manual synchronization. However, when I try to shutdown the iMac, Mirror Agent does not respond. I disconnect my ISP (by logging off from the main portal aka website) just before shutting down. MirrorAgent for some reason keeps trying to communicate (i didn't ask it to) and finally becomes responsive after a few minutes. Shutdown works afterwards. What do I do other than submitting a feedback to Apple?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

I tried searching the forums for the keyword fsck but couldn't find an answer for my question. Apple's support forums are too slow to be useful. So...

1. How do I boot up the computer in single user or safe mode so that I can run fsck on the boot partition? I have been booting off the install CD and running disk utility and it is a pain to do so.

There's a sticky up at the top of this forum that talks about this. But since I'm typing.... At boot up hold cmd+s. You'll be booted into single user mode. Type fsck -y at the prompt (fsck -fy if you've got journalling enabled).

Quote:

2. My computer (iMac) is missing /etc/fstab. Isn't fsck supposed to read mount information from that file?

Dunno, but fsck works fine without it.

Quote:

3. I have trouble with Mirror Agent. I have a broadband ISP that requires me to logon via a website. (they have a client for windoze) To avoid problems with iDisk synchronization, I have set it to manual synchronization. However, when I try to shutdown the iMac, Mirror Agent does not respond. I disconnect my ISP (by logging off from the main portal aka website) just before shutting down. MirrorAgent for some reason keeps trying to communicate (i didn't ask it to) and finally becomes responsive after a few minutes. Shutdown works afterwards. What do I do other than submitting a feedback to Apple?

MirrorAgent sucks donkey balls when it's being stubborn. There's just no other way to put it. :/

Quote:

Thanks.

No problem.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I never read stickies. But after reading through your response and the sticky right after, I found it useful. Thanks for the information.