Airport

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm finally thinking about getting Airport for my iBook but I wanna save money. What other options are good for a base station? I'd much rather pay less than the $299 for Apple's base station.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    There are a number of offerings from SMC, Linksys, Macsense, Asante, and others. Are you just looking for an access point, or do you want additional features (4-port ethernet, cable/DSL router capability, built-in modem, print server, etc.)?

The SMC EZ Connect 11Mbps Wireless Access Point can pass Appletalk packets through the wireless connection and can be found for around $100.

Another option could be to look for deals on the Airport 1.0 base station, which can usually be found for less than $200.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    tristantristan Posts: 79member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>I'm finally thinking about getting Airport for my iBook but I wanna save money. What other options are good for a base station? I'd much rather pay less than the $299 for Apple's base station.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I will let you know in about a week when I get my wireless card in for my laptop. My Boss (network admin) just bought a linksys wireless router 4port switch for 159. All wireless routers (most anyway) use 802.11b technology (wifi) so as long as your wireless card is 802.11b (apple's wireless card is) you should just be able to set it up that way. Don't know for sure, but I am buying the card first, gonna bring my ibook to his wireless lan and see if I can get on. He said he brought his laptop outside last night after setting it up and worked like a champ. Security for it is only 64 bit encryption thought, but I don't think a hacker will try to sit outside your house and break in.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I really don't need any of the other features, just a base station. I look into the brands you mentioned. Thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    The Orinoco base stations are the same hardware as the AirPort base station, but often cheaper:

<a href="http://www.orinocowireless.com/template.html?section=m59&envelope=95&action=folde r" target="_blank">http://www.orinocowireless.com/template.html?section=m59&envelope=95&action=folde r</a>
  • Reply 5 of 5
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    FYI

Linksys WILL NOT pass Appletalk!

Belive me, I know!

:0)