losing ip address

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I recently installed a cysco vpn and had no problems with it. However, ever since then, whenever i close the lid of my powerbook and it goes into hibernation, i lose my ip address. I am using an airport card. If i go into network preferences and configure the airport connection and try to "renew my dhcp lease" it wont do anything. I dont even get a bogus ip address. It is just blank. I have to restart to receive an ip address. What changed? How can i fix this? is there a way to run the same script that runs at startup to connect to the network while the comp is already running?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I'm not sure if the situation you're describing is the same as an issue I had last year, but it might be, so here goes....

I used the Cisco VPN Client to connect to a Cisco VPN on a wireless network on campus, and I found that if I just close my PB, without clicking Disconnect in the VPN client, when I open it back up and try to connect to a non-VPN'ed network, I don't get an IP. (I never tried opening it back up where I'd still need the VPN client running.) The solution is to click Disconnect in the Cisco client before putting the 'Book to sleep, or, once you open it back up, re-click Connect and then Disconnect to let the Cisco client clean up after itself.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    that is exactly what happened. i was on campus using it and simply closed the book without disconnecting then tried to reconnect at home without a vpn and have been having the problem. Your awsome!! When you reconnected to disconnect did you have to go back to campus to do it or will simply running the commands at home work? Thanks again.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    No, I didn't have to go back to where the VPN'ed wireless was, just click Connect and Disconnect, even with no connection at all. Don't bother waiting too long for it to time out, either. You just want the Cisco client to tell the system that it's done hijacking your network, which it doesn't do if you don't run its Disconnect command. So yeah, doing it from home works fine.

I hope this still works. I haven't had the problem in a while because I've gotten used to making sure I disconnect before putting my PB to sleep.