Powerbook CD Drive Noise Issues

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a new 12-inch Powerbook G4 and have noticed that occasionally, when playing CDs, the CD drive will make a loud whirring noise, often vibrating the computer itself and even making it difficult to listen to the music.

I was wondering if this is common among Powerbook users or an issue I should discuss with Apple.

Cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    CDs are spun inside your computer (but I'm sure you knew that). It's just the drive spinning.

Which brings me to my next question. Why would you listen to music on your PB's speakers? Go with headphones or plug into your stereo or something like that, you're missing so much if you just listen on those tiny speakers.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I have a Firewire audio card connected to studio speakers... but the occasional loud whirring is noticeable, especially in quiet moments.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I'm afraid the only realistic option is to make MP3s of your CDs into iTunes.

CD drives just have always been rather loud (to me) and when MP3 came along it solved many music listening problems, including scratching the CD, juggling CDs, needing portable cases, weight, theft of CDs, etc.

I know it's somewhat a bit of work, particularly if you have a huge CD library. No I don't suppose you would want much music beyond say 5-10 GB on your drive, but it's worth at least considering.

Cop-out answer? Yup.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Why don't computer CD drives only spin at the 1x (or thereabouts) necessary when playing audio CDs?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    you probably have a SONY drive. I remember my first powerbook had a sony drive, it was REALLY load and made clicky wheely, mechanical sounds. the newer panasonic ones are quieter.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Heh, coincidentally, after posting, I tried out a few CDs... no problems. Oh well... hopefully the noise won't occur as often in future playings.