Extensis Suitcase And Suitcase Server

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Anyone use these products? Any opinions?

I have Suitcase X1 on Jag and Panther boxes, and it is a little funky. Not sure if I trust it.

I am considering Suitcase server, but need to hear some revies before I even try the demo.

Please chime in! I have 110 Macs that need font managment in OS X! and I have thousands of fonts all over my server that need to be under control!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Can't comment on Suitcase Server, but I've been using Suitcase on OS X since 10.1. Currently using Suitcase X1 (11.0.2) on 10.3.2.

It's not bad. Functionally, it works fairly well; the auto-activation plug-ins work nicely in all of my design apps (including InDesign -- I no longer use Quark). My only complaints are a long pause on startup (this w/ about 400 open, activated fonts) which hogs the CPU like crazy.

Interface-wise, don't get me started. Almost there, but it's not. It could and should be much better.

What funkiness have you seen with Suitcase? And are you deciding between Suitcase and FontAgent? FontAgent is supposed to be pretty good; if it wasn't so overzealous about organizing my typefaces for me, I'd definitely be considering it.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Using Suitcase 10 for years and 11 for a while now and while they have their issues, it works well with huge amounts of fonts, and 11 works really good with the new CS suite from Adobe. The issues I have with Suitcase can usually be solved by removing the fonts and reloading them, deleting large (more than 1MB) adobefnt.lst files and clearing out font caches occasionally.