Northeastern University To Offer iTunes To Students?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is Apple going the Napster route with a discounted downloading scheme for colleges? Sounds plausible to me. Here's an interesting article.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Interesting....

I wonder if this will force Apple to look into the unintended result of having hundreds of shared libraries on one campus, from their home-sharing idea.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    If there's demand for this kind of thing, I can't blame a company trying to strike deals however they can.

Still, I think it's totally sick that a college even considers striking deals like this. There's no way the college can reasonably be held responsible for copyright violations by individual private users. If those users are taken to court, fine. Since the law says what it says, the students had it coming. It was their choice to violate copyrights.

What's next? A deal with the local prosecutor under which every student goes to jail for a week, but everybody can then break laws on campus to their heart's content?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I wouldn't say that too loud, some school district might think this is a good idea and implement it, claiming it teaches the inner city kids about what life is going to be like if they keep shooting each other.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Why would a university waste it's money on such a thing.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

For the same reason they waste money on things like cable, internet, concerts, and endless other services they offer to students.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Interesting....

I wonder if this will force Apple to look into the unintended result of having hundreds of shared libraries on one campus, from their home-sharing idea.

If the school has a good network it really won't be a problem. iTunes only looks on your local subnet. Because of this I can only see people in about half of my building because we share the same subnet.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

They don't really waste their money. They waste the students' money. The UPENN Napster deal shows up on every student's tuition bill.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

They don't really waste their money. They waste the students' money. The UPENN Napster deal shows up on every student's tuition bill.

The University of Pennsylvania is Penn, Pennsylvania State University is Penn State...totally different.