HELP, Beige DT won't boot

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I was recently given an old Beige DT, with a G3 from a B&W Mac, a FW/USB card, and a Radeon running 10.2.8. Things were going fine, then I tried to add some new components (add: 80GB ATA drive, SCSI CDRW; Remove: ATAPI CDROM). Now the machine won't boot.

I have reset the PRAM, pushed the 'reset' button on the motherboard, removed the new stuff, removed/replaced the battery, cursed at it, and tired booting of both OS9 and OSX CDs. The best I can get is an old-style Happy Mac for a few seconds before it reboots. This happens most consistently of an OS9 CD, but I was able to get the same result after reseting the PRAM a few times.

The 80GB ATA drive replaced a ATAPI CDROM. Since the CD was set to Master, I also set the drive to Master. The SCSI CDRW is terminated and set to 4( I think).

Any idea why this Machine won't boot? Where can I start testing?

I don't see any reason why these changes would have affected booting. But, I thought it might have something to do with firmware. I read on another forum about using 'init-nvram' in the firm ware. Does anyone know anything about this?

Help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Could be a number of things.

Have you tried replacing one compnent at a time to see which one is causing the problem?

Dobby.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    1) the radion 7000 has some issues with Beige G3's. Are you using that card or built-in video?

2) Make sure you have the appropriate SCSI ID set for your CD drive. A wrong one or conflict will prevent the computer from booting.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I have returned the machine to stock and tried to reboot...nothing. There are no other SCSI devices connected to the Mac, but the ID is 4.

I'm going to strip EVERYTHING out, put 1 RAM stick and a HD in and reboot. I can't understand why it is getting to the Classic Happy Mac and then rebooting. What is going on at that stage of the boot cycle?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Are you using the Radion 7000?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    No, i'm using the original Radeon Mac Edition. It has been in there a long time and the machine worked fine before the new stuff went in.

I have stripped all the add-ons out, but the Mac still won't boot. It's like there is something deep in the system that's corrupted. Thats why I was wondering about firmware.