My Cube speakers are very quiet on my G4 tower??

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ive just plugged in the Cube speakers into my G4 400 tower and with all the sound settings up to maximum. But they are sooo much more quiet than when they were on the cube??

Whats the difference?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by MARK_L:

<strong>Ive just plugged in the Cube speakers into my G4 400 tower and with all the sound settings up to maximum. But they are sooo much more quiet than when they were on the cube??

Whats the difference?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Probabily the amplification section of the cube is better. Perhaps the impedance of the Cube speakers is more important than the impedance of the Towers speakers : it can make a difference.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member

<strong>Ive just plugged in the Cube speakers into my G4 400 tower and with all the sound settings up to maximum. But they are sooo much more quiet than when they were on the cube??

sounds like you have either a sawtooth or yikes G4/400. The apple pro speakers require the apple "digital" audio connector which is identical to a normal sound out but is amplified via the internal ampliflier. Your PowerMac lacks the amplifier and therefore the speakers won't work
  • Reply 3 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The Apple Pro Speaker connector is not the same as a normal miniplug. It's smaller, thinner. I assume he's talking about the real Cube speakers...

In that case, I believe they just aren't compatible with anything other than the Cube.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>The Apple Pro Speaker connector is not the same as a normal miniplug. It's smaller, thinner. I assume he's talking about the real Cube speakers...

In that case, I believe they just aren't compatible with anything other than the Cube.</strong><hr></blockquote>

is it really? guess it does look a bit thinner.

the cube speakers were amplified through USB right? I think they had juiced up USB or something.

... memory failing ....
  • Reply 5 of 7
    mark_lmark_l Posts: 39member
    Yes I have Yikes G4 400

The speakers plug straight into the USB port

And im talking about the 'ball' speakers!

Just not as loud on the G4 400 than the Cube

But they do work

??
  • Reply 6 of 7

<strong>Yes I have Yikes G4 400

The speakers plug straight into the USB port

And im talking about the 'ball' speakers!

Just not as loud on the G4 400 than the Cube

But they do work

??</strong><hr></blockquote>

yea, there is an Apple TIL article about that. Apparantly the Cube had more powerful USB ports. Not sure how they did that but apparantly that is why they are low on the powermac
  • Reply 7 of 7
    xiaxinxiaxin Posts: 44member

you need a USB of 500 mA power output to make the Cube USB speaker work, otherwise it would only be as loud as a headphone speaker.