Soundtrack vs GarageBand

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was just wondering, I would like to get something in the soundtrack family. Now that they have GarageBand, what makes getting SoundTrack better. What can it do that garage band. Also are there any rumors or news that there will be an update to soundtrack in the near future.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    No sure.

However, I got a copy of Soundtrack 1.2 Trial CD from the AppleStore. It is a 30-day trial with save/export. I installed it on my Dual G4 and dropped the tutorials media... works pretty good. I have iLife '04 here.

As a college student speaking, I rather get FCP 4 w/Soundtrack rather then getting just the Soundtrack 1.2 software. I have FCP 3 here.. but no money to upgrade to 4.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Garagband can record live audio tracks

Soundtrack cannot

Advantage...Garageband
  • Reply 3 of 9
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Just did a search to make sure that no one else started a thread about this...

As Apple now owns eMagic, would it be fair to say that GarageBand and SoundTrack are more so for the non-musician? Sure, you can record a track via the audio inputs, but many features are limited. I was really surprised that GarageBand didn't support MIDI files directly.

Looking at the specs, it would appear that Logic Express seems more the choice for someone (like me) who was limited to using Opcode Vision to have a Mac become the controller for my recording sessions.

Does anyone have experience with the all the audio applications offered by Apple? Or even comments about how they compare to MOTU, Opcode, etc.?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I'm a former Opcode Studio Vision user myself (wish it was still around - best audio/midi app ever!!) I currently own both Logic and motu dp4.12. I'd say dp4 is easier when you're used to vision. Logic has better softsynth integration and is easier on the cpu. Interface wise dp4 is much better and more elegant to use. Neither of the two come even close to vision unfortunately
  • Reply 5 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    MOTU DP was too hard to use for me. Garageband was a godsend for me, I can't wait till they optomize it more, and add more MIDI support.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Garageband was a godsend for me, I can't wait till they ...add more MIDI support.

They did and named it logic express.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Whoops that was a question not a statement... disregard my post if you saw it.

Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

Just did a search to make sure that no one else started a thread about this...

As Apple now owns eMagic, would it be fair to say that GarageBand and SoundTrack are more so for the non-musician?

And no that wouldn't be a fair assumption.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

MOTU DP was too hard to use for me. Garageband was a godsend for me, I can't wait till they optomize it more, and add more MIDI support.

MOTU DP, like Logic, is a serious Pro Application. Garageband is aimed at consumer - two totally different worlds.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Isn't GarageBand a hell of a lot slower than Soundtrack?