OmniWeb 5 (beta3)

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Just been trying it out and it's just slower than slow! It has crashed on me 3 times in just over an hour. Will stick with FireFox for now

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    It's a little faster than beta 2 for the most part for me. It's pretty speedy.

As always, remember to trash the preferences before using. There could be something wonky in there slowing things down.

Good things I've noticed in the few minute's I've used it:

* Drawing bugs in the text entry box appears to be fixed (so far).

* Mouse wheel scrolling doesn't have a super-fast acceleration curve any more. Wheel scrolling is actually usable!

* Ad blocking preferences are remembered again.

* Non-image elements blocked are done more gracefully (usually).

Bad things:

* The "stop" button is broken and pages tend to load forever again -- correction: pages with <input type="file"> hang forever... like every submit page at AppleInsider. It's for the attach file box. Only admins and moderators see it; so, it won't affect most of you.

* Cache is still screwy. I'm having to force pages with edits here at AppleInsider to reload.

* I can't login to do anything at my university or bank. The login/pass pages keep looping back onto themselves.

There is a list of changes and bug files here.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

As always, remember to trash the preferences before using. There could be something wonky in there slowing things down.

This is strange, I can't find the preferences file at all And it's certainly not speedy on my G4 800 iMac. Way slower than both Safari and Firefox. It's even slower than NS and IE as well
  • Reply 3 of 4
    There's a reason "important information" is marked, uh, "important".

"Before you download OmniWeb 5.0 beta please be aware of the following"

Quote:

OmniWeb 5.0 data can be found in these locations:

<~/Library/Application Support/OmniWeb 5/>

<~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5.plist>

• Reply 4 of 4
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

There's a reason "important information" is marked, uh, "important".

"Before you download OmniWeb 5.0 beta please be aware of the following"

I've already done this but it hasn't helped. It's still slow and crashes allot. I agree on the other points you make though. It's an improvement on the previous version but for one reason or another it's very slow on my machine. I have all the latest Panther updates BTW and the latest version of Java as well