Virus definitions for .Mac Virex

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Since McAfee just released the March 1, 2004 virus definitions, I figured I would use the eUpdate feature of Virex and bring my protection up to date. To my frustration, Virex wouldn't move beyond the January 29, 2004 virus definitions. Then I went to http://www.mac.com/antivirus/update/ and realized that the latest virus definition file available on .Mac is two months out of date. What the hell is up with that?

I thought that Apple prides itself on providing a secure operating environment. It is unacceptable that the Virex virus defitions available to paying .Mac subscribers is two months out of date! (Yes, I submitted feedback to the .Mac team about this.)

Any thoughts?

Escher

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    I just checked MacUpdate for Virex virus definitions again. It looks like the March 3 virus definitions are for Virex 6, while the latest defitintions for the current version, Virex 7, are from February 3, 2004. Makes no sense to me.

Escher
  • Reply 2 of 11
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    personally, i am more annoyed at the utter lack of updates for virex proper. the app will still unexpectedly quit if you remove the wrong fonts from your system folder (don't remember which ones), it's somewhat slow, it doesn't do background scanning worth a damn... i mean, at least it's something, and unlike norton AV, it doesn't throw .kext's into the mix, but still. you would think apple would be rattling their cage just a little on this front.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    norfanorfa Posts: 171member
    You guys get viruses? Wow. I guess there might be a few out there, but I've never had one. The only time I've heard of one on Mac was once when some guy was trying scam my mom big bucks for cleaning up her drive when all she needed was a defrag.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by norfa

You guys get viruses? Wow. I guess there might be a few out there, but I've never had one.

Have you ever heard of prevention, norfa? Sure there haven't been any Mac viruses in a while. But I would rather be safe than sorry. Scanning my HDD from time to time, while I am eating or sleeping, is a small price to pay.

It's only a matter of time until we get an OS X specific virus or worm. It obviously won't have the same global ramifications as a Windows virus, but may be devastating to individual systems. I would hate to scramble for anti-virus software to disinfect my system once such a Mac virus affects me.

Virus software is like data backups. Sure, you're probably not going to need it. But if you do, you'll be glad you took the precaution.

As the saying goes, prevention is the best cure!

Escher
  • Reply 5 of 11
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    Hmmmm

If there are NO viruses for OS X why would anyone care about virus definition file date?

Since these files would be IDENTICAL... :-)
  • Reply 6 of 11
    The only thing virus scanners do on OS X is filter out stuff for OS 9 and Windows. You aren't in any danger not having the latest definitions.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    It's about being a good citizen though, preventing your computer from wreaking havoc on others' machines. Windows virus definitions get updated, what, weekly? Not having those definitions on your computer doesn't put you at risk, but you become more of a risk to everyone else.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    IIRC, the .Mac Virex service is/was once marketed partly "in order to prevent retransmission of Windows viruses (usually Word Macro viruses)". In this case, wouldn't updating the Windows definitions be required more than the Mac ones?

.Mac's key benefit in this regard is "cleaning" any attachments you forward.

If you run VPC, it is possible to infect your emulated Windows virtual environment (commonly borking its trash), but the Mac itself is not infected, and you can delete the trash from CLI and bypass the infection without special AntiVirus tools in most cases.

if we're talking about smart prevention, start by not forwarding insecure MS attachments

now if you were on a Windoze box and couldn't find virus defs newer than 2 months ago...

then I'd begin freaking out.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Beardsley

The only thing virus scanners do on OS X is filter out stuff for OS 9 and Windows. You aren't in any danger not having the latest definitions.

Hmm, I'll have to disagree. I found my first virus on my PB running 10.3. Of course it was a Windows Macro virus in a Word file, and would not impact me, but since I work in a Windows world, if there is the chance I could accidentally spread a virus (much like a "carrier" from a biological perspective), then I would like to have the latest virus definitions.

Of course, as stated above the current state of this app forces you to think about scanning so I even if I had the latest definitions, if I forgot to initiate a scan then I could spread something anyway...go figure.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by fuzz_ball

I found my first virus on my PB running 10.3. Of course it was a Windows Macro virus in a Word file, and would not impact me, but since I work in a Windows world, if there is the chance I could accidentally spread a virus (much like a "carrier" from a biological perspective), then I would like to have the latest virus definitions.

Excellent example, fuzz_ball. It shows clearly why it's stupid not to care (or worse, to be careless) just because a virus may not affect your Mac directly.

Quote:

even if I had the latest definitions, if I forgot to initiate a scan then I could spread something anyway...go figure.

Kind of like the bag of condoms hidden in the back of some people's nightstands? Or maybe this isn't funny. \

Escher
  • Reply 11 of 11
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    The latest Virex definition files are now available. They are dated March 2004. The client does not auto update after Jan 29 for some reason.

Also, I downloaded Virex Scripts from Version Tracker and it doesn't work with the current version of Virex. I uninstalled it after trying in vain to figure out where the script files were being installed. I hope the stupid program didn't screw up my system.