Any way to remove scratches from Powerbook?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Like the topic says, is there any way to remove scratches from the powerbook and make it look pristine again? When I was at my friend's house, he placed my 12" powerbook on top of a steno pad while I was walking around... before I knew it... the powerbook kinda slide down.. the spiral metal part left a long winding scratch down my powerbook. Needless to say I felt like killing him but o well... Will Brasso work? or will it get rid of the brushed metal look? the scratch is not too light, and not too deep. you can see it, but it's not like a gash. Thanks for any help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    bump... 50 views and nothing yet? does this mean everyone has kept their powerbooks completely new?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    sunreinsunrein Posts: 138member
    I know some friends that have gotten scratches on their powerbooks, but none brave enough to try any remedies. After all, picking at a wound often just makes it bleed.

Myself, I've just been maniacally careful with mine. I would've stopped at, 'he placed my powerbook'. No one 'places' my powerbook but me. Sorry about your scratch though. Did you try calling Apple to see if they have any solutions?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    I think I'm out of their 90 day support range... need to buy applecare
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Unless you wanna get all auto-body-workshop on your powerbook, I'd say just learn to deal with it. I have several scratches on the top of my Titanium, I've learned to live with it.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Yeah I personally wouldnt try fixing them... you'll likely end up with something worse. Scratches will happen, just need to baby it to keep it to a minimum. Buy yourself a nice little traveling case/sleeve or something.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    slackulaslackula Posts: 262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matt Danger

Unless you wanna get all auto-body-workshop on your powerbook, I'd say just learn to deal with it. I have several scratches on the top of my Titanium, I've learned to live with it.

Yeah, could always try some of that auto-body repair paste off the late-night infomercial....Always wondered if that really worked!
  • Reply 7 of 15
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I have a few and it used to bother me but now I really like it. I guess they aren't scratches as much as dents, but I like them just enough not to put any in purposefully. They give it character, they show toughness. Imagine in 10 years how your metal computer will look. It will look like one rough hard core computer. You'll be able to say...yeah that was one of my apple laptops back before they went bankrupt

Honestly though I do like it kinda, it does give it character. Something to make it yours.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    but I didn't make them so they aren't mine
  • Reply 9 of 15
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

but I didn't make them so they aren't mine

True...does he have a car?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Has anyone done or seen a ally book that has been polished? I am curious to see how it does/would look all xtra blingy..
  • Reply 11 of 15
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    The fücks at Miami airport security thought there was a bomb in it, and they ended up putting a pretty big gash in it.

I guess they just don't realize how easy it is to get a bomb on a plane. A toothpaste tube full of plastic explosive will blow the f-ing wing off. I'm sick of pointless security.

end of rant.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    That really sucks....kind of makes me dread flying internationally later this year. But I didn't have any problems last spring on a domestic flight with my TiBook --- they just put the standard "bomb detection powder" (?? someone elaborate -- I don't remember exactly how it works again) on it with a cloth and ran it through the machine.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    I would be pretty hesitant about polishing a powerbook. The surface of the aluminium is anodised, and you run a strong risk of stripping off more of the anodisation layer. I believe that the anodisation layer on a powerbook is dyed clear, so maybe it wouldnt look to different - untill the aluminium oxidises a crappy white colour.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunrein

I know some friends that have gotten scratches on their powerbooks, but none brave enough to try any remedies. After all, picking at a wound often just makes it bleed.

Myself, I've just been maniacally careful with mine. I would've stopped at, 'he placed my powerbook'. No one 'places' my powerbook but me. Sorry about your scratch though. Did you try calling Apple to see if they have any solutions?

Haha, I'll be like that too, when I get my PBG5!
  • Reply 15 of 15
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

That really sucks....kind of makes me dread flying internationally later this year. But I didn't have any problems last spring on a domestic flight with my TiBook --- they just put the standard "bomb detection powder" (?? someone elaborate -- I don't remember exactly how it works again) on it with a cloth and ran it through the machine.

Yeah, that was what happened to me too, and that the flight was domestic.

Vaccum packed C4 charge?

C4 inside a toothpaste container? A shaving cream container?

Let be serious. Only the most naively made bomb will get caught. It almost makes me want to smuggle bombs onto planes just in spite.