Amusing Google Results

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This evening, I was looking for Russian dessert recipes. A query of "russian dessert". Sounds kind of sexual now that I think about it, but I got the kind of results I was expecting, except as a category, Google recommended I look in "Recreation > Guns > Manufacturers". Uhh what the hell?

Anyone else experience Google weirdness like that?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Maybe they were suggesting that Russians hunt theirs?

Beware the dangerous marzipan bird.

That's all I've got. nothing.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Google for me has been funny as of late. I used to be-able to find what I wanted with a simple phrase that best described what I was looking for, and bam, I got it within the first 5 links. Now, on some of the more interesting issues, it appears Google-bombing and crazy advertisers have gotten out of hand. Crazy.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Russian desserts. . . . Please.

Russians are too tough to eat dessert. Pass the Vodka.

Aaaanyway, My knowledge of Ukrainian desserts is decent, and as far as I can tell they are basically simpler versions of German deserts. That is, they are HEAVY. The one exception may be (not even going to try and spell it) a deep-fried, sugar coated pastry thing. they are puffy and thin. But in the end these are pretty heavy as well, just not dense.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac The Fork

This evening, I was looking for Russian dessert recipes. A query of "russian dessert". Sounds kind of sexual now that I think about it, but I got the kind of results I was expecting, except as a category, Google recommended I look in "Recreation > Guns > Manufacturers". Uhh what the hell?

Anyone else experience Google weirdness like that?

Congratulations, you've joined the ranks of those that have misspelled into Google's search box and failed to see the original text you typed as being misspelled.

"russian dessert" in Google yields exactly what you had wanted.

You undoubtedly typed "Russian desert" into Google the first time which will yield many links related to Russian military equipment, videogames using said equipment, etc...

Perhaps you did enter "Russian dessert"...even so: Russian sniper rifles and the American "Desert Eagle" handgun are two extremely popular topics to search for (mostly video/computer gamers seeking info and mods)...so thus the Google suggestion.

Google will suggest words that are nearby other words presuming the user has misspelled them, often wildly incorrect, but not usually.

Somewhere a gun collector is getting results for Sirniki....
  • Reply 5 of 7
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Congratulations, you've joined the ranks of those that have misspelled into Google's search box and failed to see the original text you typed as being misspelled.

"russian dessert" in Google yields exactly what you had wanted.

You undoubtedly typed "Russian desert" into Google the first time which will yield many links related to Russian military equipment, videogames using said equipment, etc...

Perhaps you did enter "Russian dessert"...even so: Russian sniper rifles and the American "Desert Eagle" handgun are two extremely popular topics to search for (mostly video/computer gamers seeking info and mods)...so thus the Google suggestion.

Google will suggest words that are nearby other words presuming the user has misspelled them, often wildly incorrect, but not usually.

Somewhere a gun collector is getting results for Sirniki....

Or "Russian desert" is spelt wrong on some sites as "Russian dessert". It's not necessarily Mac the Forks misspelling. (maybe that's what you mean by para. 4?)

Desert/dessert are to Google what Palm/Plam are to eBay.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    johnq: Your ideas don't seem to bear out. \

Recreation > Guns > Manufacturers has no relation to Russian or desserts. In fact, the category has been moved. You'd think Home > Cooking > Desserts would make more sense, given the other results.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Crazychester,

I originally read:

--

I got the kind of results I was expecting, except as a category, Google recommended I look in "Recreation > Guns > Manufacturers".

--

...and missed the "recommended" part.

But I then said regardless, if he typed it correctly or not, Google will usually offer variations.

Mac The Fork,

Quote:

Originally posted by Mac The Fork

johnq: Your ideas don't seem to bear out. \

Recreation > Guns > Manufacturers has no relation to Russian or desserts. In fact, the category has been moved. You'd think Home > Cooking > Desserts would make more sense, given the other results.

Short of a screen grab, I don't know what you originally did or saw.

All I know is that when I put in "russian dessert" in the main Google Web section I get 10 results (of 10 or more pages) pertaining mostly to Russian desserts. It doesn't offer me any alternatives. Only if I click Directory will it offer "Recreation_>_Guns_>_Manufacturers" as a suggestion.

That you are now not getting the suggestion for _"Recreation_>_Guns_>_Manufacturers" tells me that this time you are using quotes around "russian desert"

Quoted "russian desert" does not yield the guns recommendation, but unquoted russian desert does still.

I don't know what you originally did. Did you switch over to Google Directory after searching in the Google Web tab? That's the only thing I can do to trigger a "Related categories" bar.

(Epiphany happens here: You are using Google Directory...)

In fact you MUST have done that. Since what was suggested was a Directory-specific path.

I therefore assume you did this:

1. You must normally start your searches using "Google Directory" and not "regular" Google. You're using the faux Yahoo Google.

2. So let's say you did indeed type russian dessert correctly, but then it offers you "Related categories: Recreation_>_Guns_>_Manufacturers" at the top.

This is normal, since it is trying to detect possible common misspellings and offer somewhat sensible alternatives.

That desert and dessert are often misspelled is sensible, so it then looks at russian and desert, which, as it turns out is a common word set for certain military and gun interest groups (and gamers).

Thus the suggestion.

So it wasn't necessarily based on you having misspelling it.

3. Now, you go back (to Google Directory) and try again to recreate it but this time you are using quotes.

Your search - "Russian desert" - did not match any documents.

or

Your search - "Russian dessert" - did not match any documents.

But no Directory entries have that exact phrase in them. Since they both are equally nonexistent it can't offer the other as an alternative (in Directory).

Searching for EITHER unquoted "russian" and "desert" OR unquoted "russian" and "dessert" will yield the "Related categories" link to Guns because for some reason (read: "I don't know how Directory defines categories") there doesn't seem to be any pages in "Recreation > Food" that has russian and dessert in their pages. -Or- if there are, it isn't being properly offered as an alternative to 'russian' (and) 'desert'.