Can you say clueless?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Foung this job posting...

"Need someone to create a CD to show my advertising capabilities.

We have a two-person ad agency and need to create a CD that will present our work to prospective clients. Want to put audio, video and print material on it and have a modest amount of flash animation on the front page."

An ad agency that needs to hire someone...to advertise themselves...hilarious.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    So did you apply?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

So did you apply?

Er. Yeah. Hey, I need the laughs. Still, I hope there may be intelligent life over there...

• Reply 3 of 9
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i should buy some stock in that company!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    If they were hiring a graphics artist to do art would that be clueless? Or maybe an video production person to put together a video? Clueless?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i should buy some stock in that company!

Whta if ya sell after finding out that the cheif is leaving wth a pocket full of $$, dont let yourself become the nect Martha
  • Reply 6 of 9
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Maybe neither of them is good at designing multimedia CD:s or at Flash. It's still possible they are competent with video, print and text, no?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

If they were hiring a graphics artist to do art would that be clueless? Or maybe an video production person to put together a video? Clueless?

You can't call yourself an ad agency if you don't have a person who can visually layout, create and produce the materials to advertise a product or service. So no graphic production = no advertising...yes, clueless.

Also, it's a contractual position. Not full time. So when one produces this for them and all the clients start calling in...what then? Guess another agency with a revolving door for temps. Doesn't sound like this agency has a consistent visual style or idenity yet either.

Graphic design as a full time career or in house is dead. Here in Philly at least.

Haven't gotten a reply from these monkeys yet. I'll post something if they do.

• Reply 8 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

You can't call yourself an ad agency if you don't have a person who can visually layout, create and produce the materials to advertise a product or service. So no graphic production = no advertising...yes, clueless.

sorry, artman, but i will give them the benefit of the doubt, because as anyone who has spent a lot of time in an agency can attest, the most difficult materials to create aren't for your toughest client, they are your own. it always gets pushed down below paying client work. everyone down to the janitor wants a say in the look, and gets personally offended if you don't take their advice. the time lags in between review rounds can be so long that the nature of the work the ad agency does can even change, or need to include new pieces, which can then drastically change how the piece is put together.

i have been with two companies who have had so much lethargy or in-fighting with their own advertising/marketing that they eventually hired an outside firm who could look objectively at their project, cut out all the crap, and get it done.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

sorry, artman, but i will give them the benefit of the doubt, because as anyone who has spent a lot of time in an agency can attest, the most difficult materials to create aren't for your toughest client, they are your own. it always gets pushed down below paying client work. everyone down to the janitor wants a say in the look, and gets personally offended if you don't take their advice. the time lags in between review rounds can be so long that the nature of the work the ad agency does can even change, or need to include new pieces, which can then drastically change how the piece is put together.

i have been with two companies who have had so much lethargy or in-fighting with their own advertising/marketing that they eventually hired an outside firm who could look objectively at their project, cut out all the crap, and get it done.

Thank you for the insight. I never have worked for an ad agency. And your explanation probably is the reason.

So......therefore I rant...

All ad agencies are a bunch of elitist, circle jerk buttheads who can't even GET to work because they can't decide what color shirt or skirt to wear that day without the help of a swatch pallet or the latest issue of CYMK in their face.

Losers. That's why 99% of all advertising SUCKS.

Rant over, and of course I got no response.

Reason being all the above.