Roku Labs network media devices

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
These devices from Roku Labs are some of the coolest network devices I've seen. The devices support iTunes, Rendevous, WiFi and all sorts of other cross-platform standards. The software is all based on Open Source.

I think the designs are great and the prices are really reasonable. My only hesitation is that I think Apple has something like these devices in the works (possibly this year, possibly better).

I'd love to hear what you all think of these products.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    sunreinsunrein Posts: 138member
    Sorry, forgot the link:

http://www.rokulabs.com/
  • Reply 2 of 6
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Nice bit of kit, lotsa gear like this is coming out now, so the future looks dandy for this, will Apple bring their own stuff out? we wait with baited breath..

This could be a problem for some with this particular unit -

"*SoundBridge can not play back protected AAC files purchased from the Apple music store."
  • Reply 3 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Roku was started by the same fellow he created ReplayTV. He's a gaget freak that's for sure. The Roku HD1000 just dropped in price to $300 which is great.

Sadly I don't have a HDTV and right now I don't think HDTV is cheap enough to run your tube showing fancy pictures all day. But for Photos this thing rocks.

MP3 support only right now. They have the Soundbridge for support of more music formats. Hopefully iTMS files will be supported someday.

I think Apple will be getting into this arena someday soon. It is the next logical step for them.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

Nice bit of kit, lotsa gear like this is coming out now, so the future looks dandy for this, will Apple bring their own stuff out? we wait with baited breath..

This could be a problem for some with this particular unit -

"*SoundBridge can not play back protected AAC files purchased from the Apple music store."

I don't know of any network devices that can play back protected AAC files, that's why I'm waiting for Apple to come up with some similar device. I sincerely doubt they'll hand out that kind of functionality to other manufacturers... or maybe I'm just being cynical.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I think Apple will be getting into this arena someday soon. It is the next logical step for them.

I think it's going to be one of the things we'll see for the 20th anniversary year. I don't like making predictions, but I think we'll see this come together before the end of the year. I'd really like to see them match the prices of these Roku devices, but I'm guessing that won't be the case.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Apple won't be coming out with any set top boxes since Steve hates TV, but I could see them making something like the SoundBridge.

And don't forget the EyeHome.