new power book 15 screen problem help

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just bought a new powerbook 15 and this has happened about 2 times where the screen gets all screwed up, meaning, i see lots of vertical dots all across the screen like some image corruption in my old pc. When I move the mouse around, the dots move around too. The dots are yelloish "ditto" marks.

Any ideas with the problem? A bad graphics card? Software problem? Hard ware? It returns to normal when I restart.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Could you please supply a picture? It'll help us determine the problem.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ludwigvanludwigvan Posts: 458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jxfreak

I just bought a new powerbook 15 and this has happened about 2 times where the screen gets all screwed up, meaning, i see lots of vertical dots all across the screen like some image corruption in my old pc. When I move the mouse around, the dots move around too. The dots are yelloish "ditto" marks.

Any ideas with the problem? A bad graphics card? Software problem? Hard ware? It returns to normal when I restart.

Is it similar to these issues reported at MacInTouch recently?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    jxfreakjxfreak Posts: 138member
    Quote:

The noise appears and disappears (as though someone was running a hair dryer or other interfering device). I can't account for the cause.

The noise moves with images on the screen. That is, the noise isn't in one place on the monitor, but rather it is in the image being displayed. If I move a window around with the mouse, the noise moves with it.

-from macintouch.

This seems to describe the problem well except that i am not connected to any external monitor. I have reset the pram will post if it comes back. thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I have the picture of the corrupt screen but I don't know how to post it. Can someone help me?

Do I need to upload the picture to a http folder?

Thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jxfreak

Do I need to upload the picture to a http folder?

Yes, and once you do that, click the "Image" button in a posting window and paste the URL to the image. Done!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I took it to the Apple Store in Fashion Valley and it turned out to be a bad logic board

He was able to replicate the problem by pushing down on the palm rest or bottom. I got another PB but after an airport problem, I replaced it with still yet another one. It seems to be ok so far apart from kernal panics i gotten but was able to later pin point it a loose airport.