some iPod hacks I'd like to see...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So lots of people have been doing all kinds of neat things with the iPod. My thing is I already have a PDA, and even if i didn't i wouldn't want to use a 1" monochrome screen...

I'm thinking in terms of firewire hacks. First, I'd like to see a firewire disk mode hack. If you don't know, this is how you can transfer files directly between two computers via firewire. What are the implications of this? Well for starters you could trade mp3s or other files without a computer with another iPod user. Another firewire hack i'd like to see is the ability to hook the iPod up to an external burner and make discs directly from the iPod. This circumvents iTunes, and would be pretty complex, but I still think it would be cool. If someone uses a notepad app on a device without any form of entry, then this could be useful too. One thing I really like about my MiniDisc player is its ability to record from any source. I would like to see the recording ability added to the iPod. Is firewire mic/software recording and encoding a posibility? I don't know what's under the iPod's hood, in terms of CPU, so I don't know if this is possible.

Anyway, that's my two cents. What does everyone think? Why don't I get off my lazy butt and do it myself? Because I would rather slurp rancid tuna salad out of my own ass than manipulate hardware. That's what EE's are for.