Best plug-in to aid QT in playing .avi files?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I just switched my work and files to a new Mac, and now my Mac wont play many .avi (and divx) files. I forgot what I did to my last Mac to let QT do such a good job of handling (most) .avi files. It was some type of plug-in or QT mod. There are a ton of these things out there, which one do you prefer?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I use DivX 5.1.1 for Mac (the free version). It works fine for the 10 .avi movies that I have on my PowerBook and that's all I can ask for. What I'm about to say is useless because I've forgotten the name of the plug-in, but the last DivX-thingamy-jig I had was quite terrible -- audio-visual syncing would get worse and worse, until by the end of the film there would be a lag of, like, 20 secs. Anyway, like I said, DivX 5.1.1 at the above site works fine for me.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    VLC and mPlayer play stuff that quicktime will not.

This includes many .avi files (xvid, divx, etc)

They are both free on versiontracker and macupdate.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmo

VLC and mPlayer play stuff that quicktime will not.

This includes many .avi files (xvid, divx, etc)

They are both free on versiontracker and macupdate.

They are both excellent apps too, however they don't have QT plugins, so you can't do it in-browser.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I might as well add that I don't actually use QT to play .avi, but instead VLC (reliable and recognises a fantastic array of formats) and Cellulo ('a neat little app' that I think is very promising -- though it is QT based so you still need the DivX plugin to play .avi). I don't really use QT at all, to be honest -- except for Safari plugins...
  • Reply 5 of 10
    bnoyhtuawbbnoyhtuawb Posts: 456member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

I just switched my work and files to a new Mac, and now my Mac wont play many .avi (and divx) files. I forgot what I did to my last Mac to let QT do such a good job of handling (most) .avi files. It was some type of plug-in or QT mod. There are a ton of these things out there, which one do you prefer?

http://www.3ivx.com/download/macos.html
  • Reply 6 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Keep in mind you will still run into .avi's you can't play for some reason. There seem to be some odd ones that only WMP can play, and ONLY on PC's...odd huh?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Keep in mind you will still run into .avi's you can't play for some reason. There seem to be some odd ones that only WMP can play, and ONLY on PC's...odd huh?

.avi stinks
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

This is because some .avi files are still/were encoded with the old Intel Indeo 3, 4 and 5 codecs.

Unfortunately these codes do NOT work with Mac OS X. Because they are property of Intel, and they are no longer supported, the only way you can play these back on a Mac is to install the codecs in the OS 9 version of Quicktime and playback using QuickTime under Classic.

Here are some links that talk about compatability and where you can get some of the codecs from:

Apple's support page that talks about Intel Indeo codecs.

Apple's web page for the Indeo 5 codec

Indeo 3

Indeo general info.

Enjoy!

- G in the S
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

http://www.3ivx.com/download/macos.html

Oh... that's the one that worked shit for me... don't know what version I had installed 'cos I scrubbed it from my computer a while ago...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Maybe we should post there answers in the Genius Bar stickie; this question seems to pop up all the time.