Just bought a Lacie 160 GB external drive, hopefully it's good?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014

From Apple's website...

Quote:

LaCie d2 160GB FireWire Drive

LaCie d2 Hard Drives are ideal for professionals and home users, and for various applications such as databases, desktop publishing, digital content creation and digital audio/video. Other applications include pre-press, archiving, local backup, data exchange and additional storage.

LaCie's new d2 design features a sturdy aluminum case designed to enhance portability, durability, and appearance.

LaCie Hard Drives are hot-pluggable, allowing for connecting and disconnecting while the computer is running. Compatible with Mac OS X these drives enable simple cross-platform data sharing and exchange among computers.

Interface: FireWire

Rotational speed: 7200 RPM's

Interface transfer rate: 400 Mbits/s

Max sustained transfer rate: 35 MB/s

Average seek time (write): 10 ms

Buffer: 2 MB

www.lacie.com

It cost me $169 through the education store. I have no idea if it is considered a good drive or not, but I went ahead and ordered one because the price seemed reasonable and I cant imagine it is bad. 7200 RPM's and 160 GB's sound very good to me, when I am undertaking a large video project..like I am now.

Right now I am digitizing all of my family's old home movies and then "iMovie-ing" them all. I hope this drive does the storage trick. Any comments? How are Lacie drives in terms of quality and use?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    lacie's are great. i've been using one for quite a while now, and now problems at all.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member
    I have a Lacie Firewire CD-RW for about one year. Shows up in iTunes and DiscBurner without any hassle - no patch needed. Never had a problem since then.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    If you haven't used FireWire drives before, make sure you never unplug it from the computer or from the power supply until you first unmount it.

But they are great if a bit noisy (I have two next to eachother )
  • Reply 4 of 21
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Where'd you see it for $169? I looked and the 120gb drive is that price. I've been looking around for a drive myself...
  • Reply 5 of 21
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Education discount.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Education discount.

I checked in the edu store and they didn't seem to have any special discounts on the LaCie drives. There were some drives that indicated a discount but not the LaCie ones. Which school did you use?
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Penn State
  • Reply 8 of 21
    I just got my Lacie drive today, so now I officially have 220 Gigs of storage. I'm set for a while now, woohoo! Oh, and it looks great too! It will look even better next to a G5 PowerBook.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

But they are great if a bit noisy (I have two next to eachother )

Do they have a fan in them?
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Do they have a fan in them?

I don't think so. I have a 120GB LaCie D2 HD. I think the spinning disc is just really loud. There is a perforated area in the back of the casing but I can't see a fan spinning behind it.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    i hear the drive spin up when first in use, other than that i never hear any noise from my lacie 80 gig firewire HD...works flawlessly so far (knocks on wooden testes for luck)...g
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

i hear the drive spin up when first in use, other than that i never hear any noise from my lacie 80 gig firewire HD...works flawlessly so far (knocks on wooden testes for luck)...g

• Reply 13 of 21
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    I have the LaCie d2 120gb external FW hard drive since it's release.

It's teriffic, pretty fast and silent.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    She's on the desk and working dandily.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by coolmac

I have the LaCie d2 120gb external FW hard drive since it's release.

It's teriffic, pretty fast and silent.

Silent? We got different conceptions of noise pollution, man...
  • Reply 16 of 21
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

She's on the desk and working dandily.

You know, if I had a nic...nevermind. I'll be good.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    I received one of the first LaCie Extreme(2nd Gen) FW800/400 only models about 2 weeks ago. I got the 320 GB model and it's a fricking whisper! When my PB fan kicks on, I can't even hear the LaCie. In fact, the LaCie only produces noise at power up and power down, even when simultaneous recording and playback on Pro Tools.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

You know, if I had a nic...nevermind. I'll be good.

• Reply 19 of 21
    We've got two 200Gb LaCie d2s full of mp3s. fast, quiet, v pleased with them. And they look good.

But, wife's lab also has one, and it died drastically. hideous clicking/ratchet noises, bye bye DNA data (backed up fortunately).

This put the fear into us, and we're now backing up all our stuff onto dvds - a really dull task

Hang loose

----------

Now playing: Cannonball Adderley
  • Reply 20 of 21
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    I have a d2 250 gigger that I just hide down the side of the desk. Only time I hear it is when it kicks in, and when I wind it down.

I like it because it has options: FW 400 & 800, USB2, 8MB caching.