Bush's Security Council Fails to Pull the Trigger -3 TIMES

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4431601/

With Tuesday?s attacks, Abu Musab Zarqawi, a Jordanian militant with ties to al-Qaida, is now blamed for more than 700 terrorist killings in Iraq.

But NBC News has learned that long before the war the Bush administration had several chances to wipe out his terrorist operation and perhaps kill Zarqawi himself ? but never pulled the trigger...

(SNIP)

?People were more obsessed with developing the coalition to overthrow Saddam than to execute the president?s policy of preemption against terrorists,? according to terrorism expert and former National Security Council member Roger Cressey.

(SNIP)

The United States did attack the camp at Kirma at the beginning of the war, but it was too late ? Zarqawi and many of his followers were gone._ ?Here?s a case where they waited, they waited too long and now we?re suffering as a result inside Iraq,? Cressey added.

And despite the Bush administration?s tough talk about hitting the terrorists before they strike, Zarqawi?s killing streak continues today.

On three seperate occassions the Pentagon wanted to take out the terrorist camp before the war started... but the Security Council shot it down everytime... they needed it as an excuse to go into Iraq. How many U.S. soldiers and Iraqi civilians have been killed because they waited too long?

How far will the administartion go to make a case? Will they wait for an attack in the U.S. to say..."see we need to attack (target of choice)"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Selective quoting. Great. You should indicate where you've cut out parts from the article. You know like, I don't, where it explains why the admin didn't attack these terrorist.

Maybe that would be helpful and not so one sided. But we wouldn't want that right?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Nice spin/bash thread. I wonder what you would've posted had the security council taken them out?

"Bush's Security Council Kills Suspected Terrorists With No Provocation!"
  • Reply 3 of 15
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    The rest of the article is details on the 3 seperate plans to attack the camp and the intel that lead to them... I didn't want to post the full article because I want people to read it for themselves... I've added the (SNIPS) to be clearer. Happy now?

And it's pretty clear in the article why some people think they didn't attack the camp... they needed as an excuse... so they could say "There's ties between Saddam and Al-Qaida". A drum that Cheney was pounding even yesterday on Wolf Blitzer.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Really...this is now getting ridiculous. It's ironic that the same people who accuse the Bush Administration of twisting and sexing up intelligence to go to war are now sexing up news stories and selectively finding "facts" that serve no other purpose than bashing the President.

Quote:

People were more obsessed with developing the coalition to overthrow Saddam than to execute the president?s policy of preemption against terrorists,? according to terrorism expert and former National Security Council member Roger Cressey.

I have a new term in case some here haven't noticed. It's called "Politically Convenient". That's exactly what quote is.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    All that states is that the President's people were not willing to follow their own policy if it wasn't "politcally convenient".

Once again you make my point for me.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Really...this is now getting ridiculous. It's ironic that the same people who accuse the Bush Administration of twisting and sexing up intelligence to go to war are now sexing up news stories and selectively finding "facts" that serve no other purpose than bashing the President.

I have a new term in case some here haven't noticed. It's called "Politically Convenient". That's exactly what quote is.

Politcally convenient indeed. I remember how fascinated I was by all the "convenience" of all the GOP hoopla over Clinton's "twisting and sexing up intelligence to go to war".

So, when Sean Hannity makes his claims that Clinton passed up an opportunity to take Osama out, he isn't partaking in "selectively finding facts that serve no other purpose than bashing the President."

Gotcha.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    So tell me again why you just pulled qoutes from the article and didn't give people the whole story?? Isn't that somewhat remincisent of what Bush did that you're always so pissed about chewie?
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I almost never post full articles... that's why I supply links. Most articles are way too long, also it's not cool to not send people to the actual article so it can get it's hits.

I didn't selectively quote something out of context.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Here's a test. See if you can find a part of the article that helps to explain the admin's reason for not attacking these terrorists. Post the result here.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    OK I'll bite.

"Military officials insist their case for attacking Zarqawi?s operation was airtight, but the administration feared destroying the terrorist camp in Iraq could undercut its case for war against Saddam."
  • Reply 11 of 15
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    I just finished reading that article and, wow, it was quite a piece of worthless journalism. It belonged on the opinion/editorial page and not in general circulation. No White House response. No NSC response. No reason why Cressey is off the NSC. More speculation and opinion. If this is what passes for serious and responsible journalism these days...
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Since when is a journalist supposed to get all sides?

There were at least two sources... he reported what he was told.

That's what a reporter does.

Maybe the NSC and the White House chose not to comment.

It's not an op-ed piece. The reporter isn't giving an opinion.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

Since when is a journalist supposed to get all sides?

There were at least two sources... he reported what he was told.

That's what a reporter does.

Maybe the NSC and the White House chose not to comment.

It's not an op-ed piece. The reporter isn't giving an opinion.

Since when is a journalist supposed to get two sides? Are you serious? You're correct, there were two sources--against the Administration--with no response from the Administration and no notification if the Administration was contacted or declined comment.

Quote:

"Military officials insist their case for attacking Zarqawi?s operation was airtight, but the administration feared destroying the terrorist camp in Iraq could undercut its case for war against Saddam."

If there is no response by the Administration in the article then how does the writer know what the Administration is thinking? The writer takes the word of a former NSC member whom we have no idea why he is not a current member? Did he resign? Was he fired? That is speculation and opinion and belongs on the op-ed page. If you can't see this then you are blinded by your own partisanship.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    HUH?

If you were on the NSC... you worked for the administration... and you heard what their representatives wanted to do.

Then you have a military source saying they were ready on 3 seperate occassions to attack the camp.

It's not the democrats coming out with this stuff...

The administration COULD respond... but it's more likely they want the whole issue to go away. If they respond it gets MORE press.

Get a grip! Every criticism of the way things went down isn't necessarily partisan... sometimes it comes from within.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    THIS IS WHAT AN OP-ED PIECE LOOKS LIKE.

The chart that accompanies it is very telling too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/09/opinion/09KRUG.html

By PAUL KRUGMAN

Published: March 9, 2004

Despite a string of dismal employment reports, the administration insists that its economic program, which has relied entirely on tax cuts focused on the affluent, will produce big job gains any day now. Should we believe these promises?

Each February, the Economic Report of the President forecasts nonfarm payroll employment ? generally considered the best measure of job growth ? for the next several years. The black line in the chart above (inspired by a joint report from the Economic Policy Institute and the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities) shows the actual performance of employment, both before and after its peak in March 2001. The gray lines show the forecasts in the 2002, 2003 and 2004 reports. Notice that the February 2004 forecast, which, as in previous years, is based on data only through the preceding October, is already 900,000 jobs too high.

CONT.