Are the replacement iBook logic boards any better?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
That's my big question as I face the replacement of a second logic board on my iBook (Dual USB), which was in the serial number range covered by Apple's logic board replacement program. They replaced my first logic board six months ago with another faulty one. Does anyone know if Apple (or their supplier of logic boards) actually *fixed* the issue which makes these boards go bad in the first place? If not, what's the value of replacing a bad board with another one that could go bad in six months? I'm wondering if there's an intrinsic design flaw which can't be remedied with these boards. How I proceed in my dealings with Apple hinges on this question, as I'm not going to be happy with sending my iBook into the shop over and over again. In nine months, I've gone through two logic boards and an HDD!

Many thanks to all of you who respond - I'm very grateful for the advice and your continued interest and support for a fellow Mac aficionado...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    they use or are said to use a newer type of logic board that should not cause that problem. ask just in case specifically for the newer kind of logic board, and it should work better.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    I had a warranty issue with a iBook G3 12". It was originally a video/display issue. Once the new mobo was installed, the iBook wouldn't sleep. It would hang when put to sleep and never wake up. I basically traded one problem for another. I had to get the replacement mobo replaced. Now it works great.