Haliburton No Give Me Turkee

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4480796/

End of hot meals for U.S. troopsin Iraq?

Food service firm says it's owed $87 million by Halliburton

by Lisa Myers

Senior investigative correspondent NBC News

Updated:7:49 p.m._ET March 08, 2004

Halliburton has a multi-billion dollar contract to feed and house the troops in Iraq._ But there are problems. A food subcontractor that runs 10 percent of the dining facilities in Iraq claims it hasn?t been paid by Halliburton for months, and is threatening to stop serving hot meals.

The company, Event Source, serves 100,000 meals a day in Iraq under a contract with a Halliburton subsidiary._ Event Source claims Halliburton owes it $87 million, including payment for President Bush's Thanksgiving dinner with the troops.

?When you get stuck out there for $87 million dollars,? explains Event Source Chief Executive Officer Phil Morrell, ?it?s a question of economics.?

In an interview with NBC News, Morrell says he?s already laid off employees in the United States and soon will have to feed sandwiches to the troops, instead of hot meals, because his company is running low on money.

(CONT)

How can Haliburton keep getting away with this crap? You would think that after the press they've been getting they would be on their best behaviour. But when you have a nobid contracts... and no competition it's not like they can fire you. Ahh gotta love privization.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Don't they know it is their patriotic duty (AS AMERICANS!) to get screwed in the ass by Bush's oil buddies?
  • Reply 2 of 22
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I just can't believe it!!!

It is TOO much!!

Will the new privatized military completely crumble in the next war because it outsourced to subsidiaries who are negotiating contracts for cheaper parts from a fledgling that is dealing with merger legalites while downsizing to meet the bottom line and please its share-holders?!?

This is truly dispicable and makes me want to jump into that Decline Of Rome thread which I haven't read yet . . .
  • Reply 3 of 22
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
  • Reply 4 of 22
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Don't they know it is their patriotic duty (AS AMERICANS!) to get screwed in the ass by Bush's oil buddies?

you bastard...the image of cheney buggering somebody from behind, all sweaty and near having a heart attack, is enough to make carson from queer eye go hetero....ick and ick again

g
  • Reply 5 of 22
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member

"Enjoy it while it lasts...turkeys!"

God. I really hate the assholes running this country (world).

• Reply 6 of 22
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Check out the stunt turkey!

Brought with him on Air Force one for the photo op... was fake.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_844321.html
  • Reply 7 of 22
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

Check out the stunt turkey!

Brought with him on Air Force one for the photo op... was fake.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_844321.html

God. This administration has sunk. so. low. I find it now worthless to even bash or comment on them.

Cheney especially. The puppet master.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Reply 8 of 22
    I can't believe that this thead goes down without so much as a comment from the Bsh-lickers!

Halliburton, Halliburton, Halliburton, Halliburton

ring any bells?!

usually when a company that gets its contracts without bids and then turns around and boonswoggles their paying client (Gov)while providing shoddy services and mismanagement, we can see a sign that there is corruption at play

When corruption is at play there is usually some sort of investigation

Insvestigations of corrupt companies usually focus on the CEOs

Who was once a CEO at Halliburton?

Ring any bells?

is this just a symptom of how well managed our current crop of leaders are?

Anybody know how this story is developing?

Are things geting straightened out?

Is Halliburton holding out for further consetions? or are they pressuring unions or something in order to meet the "bottom line"?
  • Reply 9 of 22
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Ah, another Bush bash fest.

Lots of these today.

• Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

Lots of these today.

Yeh . . . I geuss that's all this is . . . it has nothing to do with the fact that the Halliburton Corporation, which got mucho-beaucoup-buck contracts with the government, without bids, has twice done a very terrible job . . .including over-billing the government and now possibly NOT FEEDING the soldiers that we all support and care about, warm meals, a company that was once headed by the VicePresident, a VP who backed the info that got us into the war which provided said company with bucks . . . I guess this is really just another Bush-bash therefore nevermind that other stuff . . .

• Reply 11 of 22
    and more:

Quote:

n a memo to congressional colleagues, Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., said Pentagon auditors found that a Halliburton subsidiary gave unreliable figures in a $2.7 billion proposal to provide logistics for troops in Iraq. Specific problems cited by the Defense Contract Audit Agency include Halliburton's failure to reveal it fired two subcontractors responsible for $1 billion worth of food service to American forces

And, just to get an idea of what a mess:
    Quote:

Halliburton also has acknowledged it fired two employees and reimbursed the Pentagon $6.3 million because of kickbacks allegedly paid to a Kuwaiti subcontractor on a different contract. The company's KBR subsidiary has reimbursed $27.4 million for alleged overcharging for meals served to troops in the Iraq area. Those two reimbursements alone account for $33.7 million of the $36 million Halliburton acknowledged reimbursing.

and more:
    Quote:

nvestigators from the General Accounting Office, Congress' investigative arm, reported that a military review board approved a six-month extension of a Halliburton contract worth $587 million after reviewing only six pages of supporting documents and 10 minutes of discussion. The troops sent to Iraq to give commanders contracting advice include reservists with no contracting experience, the GAO found.

This is fromHERE
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Well actually this is a Haliburton bashfest.

Keep it straight.

I didn't even mention Cheney or Bush in the discussion opener.

But if you want to do the whole guilt be association thing... go right ahead.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Lots of these today.

Guilty by association I guess.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Lots of these today.

Today? I thought some people were making their livings off of Bush bashing. They do it way too much for it to just be a hobby.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Actually this topic is two days old.

And this isn't even a BUSH topic.

More guilt by association.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

Actually this topic is two days old.

And this isn't even a BUSH topic.

More guilt by association.

I know the topic is old, and it wasn't a Bush topic...but everything seems to shift that way these days, this one did. Even a thread about [insert topic that is the exact opposite of something political] brings up some kind of Bush bashing, that's just how things go around here.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I know the topic is old, and it wasn't a Bush topic...but everything seems to shift that way these days, this one did. Even a thread about [insert topic that is the exact opposite of something political] brings up some kind of Bush bashing, that's just how things go around here.

Well if it smells like shit and looks like shit and tastes like shit then we'll probably start to talk about how shiitty it is!
  • Reply 18 of 22

Someone is putting pressure on PBS so that they can not allow 'opinions' from a journalist who is on the scene and has seen a situation

Christian Parenti is a journalist who was in Iraq and hanging with all sorts of people. He was on McNiel Lehrer and reported what he saw . . . near the end he said that Halliburton and Bechtel were clearly failing to provide adequate reconstruction and therefor were feuling some of the Iraqi's frustration and providing grist for the insurgent's mill.

Lehrer flipped and apologized to the people two days later . . . saying that it isn't the policy of his show to offer 'opinions' . . . he is not being asked back.

anyway . . . seems a bit over-reactive of the program . . as if they are getting pressure from some backers . . . or are ever-weary of the Conservative anti-NPR 'Liberal-hotbed' reactions

THIS article tells about it and says some other things too:
    Quote:

Parenti suggested that Halliburton and Bechtel have failed to provide "meaningful reconstruction" and that the U.S. occupation might actually be contributing to the instability in Iraq. Lehrer apparently went ballistic.

Quote:

Parenti's comments about the failure of meaningful reconstruction were based on his reporting and firsthand observation.

It's not the first time Halliburton has surfaced on NewsHour. Talking heads often discuss the embattled contractor, though usually in a left-right format like the one featuring Mark Shields and David Brooks. (Typical Shields comment: "Halliburton . . . has become a laugh line on the late-night monologues. That's not going to go away." Typical Brooks comment: "It does look bad but . . . it's not as bad as it looks.")

As for Halliburton, the company denies wrongdoing. But since shortly after New Year's, it has been reimbursing the U.S. government millions for alleged overcharges, and last month the Pentagon launched a criminal investigation of allegations of fraud by a Halliburton subsidiary.

• Reply 19 of 22
    Addendum: Here is what Parenti actually said:
    Quote:

"I would think so. I would think that we have to look at some of the deeper causes as to why there's so much frustration. Why are Iraqis so angry and willing to point the blame at the U.S. after this sort of bombing? A lot of it has to do with the failure of meaningful reconstruction. There still is not adequate electricity. In many towns like Ramadi there wasn't adequate water. Where is all the money that's going to Halliburton and Bechtel to rebuild this country? Where is it ending up? I think that one of the most important fundamental causes of instability is the corruption around the contracting with these Bush-connected firms in Iraq. Unless that is dealt with, there is going to be much more instability for times to come in Iraq."

• Reply 20 of 22
    The Pentagon isPISSED