CPU heatsink for a BW G3 tower

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Where in the world can I get a hold of one, these days???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

Where in the world can I get a hold of one, these days???

Those ZIF slots can handle two different kinds of latches/springs. There's a flat kind and a torsional kind. Most of the smaller Socket 370 (Pentium III) style coolers should work in those ZIF slots, I think.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    I have a flat spring latch kind, if I understand you correctly. So did you mean the PIII cooler would work on that one or the torsional kind?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

I have a flat spring latch kind, if I understand you correctly. So did you mean the PIII cooler would work on that one or the torsional kind?

The ZIF slot in my beige G3 supports both. You should see curved lips on two sides of the slot where a torsion wire spring would hook under.

Most PIII coolers have the latches like the original G3 heatsink. They're probably a little bigger, but should just barely fit. Vertical clearance is a concern too.

These two heatsinks have the torsion wire type of spring:

http://www.directron.com/z1hfs.html

http://www.directron.com/z1s.html
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Wow, you went ahead and tracked down some real pieces- much appreciated! I'll certainly check'em out!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Another question- for ordinary applications, does the choice of heatsink compound matter much? Is the white paste stuff perfectly adequate to do the job? Can heatsink paste become stale/ineffective after a period of time once the packet has been opened, but not discarded after initial use?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Another question- for ordinary applications, does the choice of heatsink compound matter much? Is the white paste stuff perfectly adequate to do the job? Can heatsink paste become stale/ineffective after a period of time once the packet has been opened, but not discarded after initial use?

Some thermal pastes seem to dry up after a while, but the generic stuff is adequate. You don't need the exotic stuff.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I suppose it is safe to debrief on the problem that was plaguing me the past week. It wasn't the heatsink or heatsink compound, at all (though I do still suspect that the stuff may be overheating and drying out over time, which finally necessitates me having to go in and "redress" the heatsink mounting to be able to reboot). It seems that the numerous times I've had to go in and redress/reseat the heatsink had somehow cocked the CPU ZIF out of alignment on the ZIF pad. Sticking that clip on puts a lot of weird forces on the assembly I imagine, thus leading to eventual misalignment of the CPU, itself. That is, the pins were riding higher on one side than the other. After a while, it seemed that no amount of my fussing with the heatsink and heatsink compounds would keep my BW from freezing up. So I figured my heatsink had gone out of tolerance and was no longer making good contact with the CPU, and the old compound I was using was past its post-open expiration date to retain integrity under temperature.

What I did notice finally, is that the compound seemed to be squished to one side of the CPU (after removing the heatsink), indicating physical contact with the heatsink on one end and a gap occupied by compound on the other end. So that gave me the idea that there was a physical misalignment somewhere. So I pulled the ZIF lever to release, reseated the CPU several times, and then slapped the lever back down. Redress and reinstall the heatsink, and viola- the thing has been running fine ever since! Now who would've guessed to reseat the CPU would solve the problem?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    A lot of people had the same overheating problems when they put the lever/spring back on backward, since it's not centered.