Titanium

$1499

OR

Brand new 12" P4 iBook 800MHz

256MB RAM

30GB

Combo Drive

$989

My questions are: Would the speed increase from 800 to 867MHz be noticeable? Is the 867MHz PowerBook the previous design or is it just an earlier version of the current model (It looks like Apple only sells the new ones at 1GHz)?Are there extra features on the PowerBook that would add value besides the processor speed and screen size? And finally, is it worth $500 more for a refurbished PowerBook vs. a brand new iBook?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    My refurb 15" 867 is still cranking... no problems. I think the more robust PB is the way to go... overall a better package. Depends mostly on the use, actually.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    Why don't you just get an ibook 933MHz 14" and up the ram and harddrive a bit for $1499. Not only would it be better in every way(except the case of course) but it would be NEW.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    The PB has more available RAM slots than the iBook and higher total RAM capacity

It also has a PC card slot the iBook doesn't have.

The iBook has much better Airport reception than the TiBook

What will you be using it for primarily? Where?

for example:

if PhotoShop or something with tons of palettes, extra screen real estate of the PB is a major bonus.

if mostly web surfing and wireless portability, the Airport range bonus of the iBook might win out.

presumably the refurb Ti can get the same Applecare extended warranty as the new iBook,

hmmmm... tough choice.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    gh0zttgh0ztt Posts: 42member
    Well I currently use a P4 2.4 with XP as my main workhorse computer. I was wanting a laptop to use mainly for websurfing/chat in other areas of the house, but I also want to learn OSX to do photo and video editing. Eventually I'll probably get a desktop to use with Final Cut, etc. but I'd like to be able to learn the OS and most of the features on the laptop. I'm in the IT field so I want something that I can use to learn the ins and outs of the Mac platform, networking, etc. in case I need to work with them in my job.

I have network ports throughout the house, so the wireless isn't really a big factor for me.

After Zodiac's comment I'm leaning towards the 1GHz 14" iBook.. Amazon has it for $1400 after rebate. Any thoughts on this model?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Now that I compare them all it looks as if the 12" PowerBook is a good deal at $1500 compared to the 14" iBook for $1400. $100 more gets the better case material, the ability to connect higher resolution DVI monitors (a big selling point for me), and the ability to add more RAM.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    bytemebyteme Posts: 45member
    I will also be purchasing a new mac for school and can't decide. I am either going to purchase a 14" ibook 933MHz for $1199 or the 12" PB 1 GHz w/superdrive for $1599. Is upgrade cost of $150 for the 1Ghz iBook worth the price? The only reason i wouldnt dive in and buy the 12"PB is b/c 12" is not alot of screen real estate.

+Plus I will have to buy an airport extreme card for whichever one I decide on.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Remember folks... that's a 15" PowerBook, not a 12". Absolutely, positively go for the PowerBook over the iBook. I bet that 15" one is faster than a 1 GHz iBook (it has L3 cache, and it's a PowerBook and therefore just better overall).

Quite frankly, iBooks suck. Even the G4s are just okay.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Where did you find the PB w/ SuperDrive for $1599?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Nevermind... I forgot about the education pricing... I gotta go find a college student to buy mine... lol