What do you see in store for the next rev of iBooks?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I've been looking through the forums, but haven't found anything about the next rev of iBooks.

Forgive me if I'm and idiot and missed it somewhere...

The only thing I've found is info about the next rev of PB's or PM's.

What do you think the next rev will have?

Here's my guess...

1)Full blown G4 (with 512k cache, not the wimpy 256k)

2)256MB RAM standard on all

3)Still left with only 650MB RAM max limit

4)CD-RW/DVD Combo drive (unless they get a 2x or 4x SuperDrive while the Power series gets an 4x or 8x)

5)167Mhz system bus

6)AirPort Extreme (of course)

7)Bluetooth built-in standard on all

8)Possibly a new case/design

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Now THAT'S the way to start a useful thread!

My ideas... just casting rune stones here...

I think the iBook future is very much dependent on the Powerbook future, since the iBook is PowerBook "lite" (read:crippled) in my view. If we get to G5 PB sooner rather than later, look for the iBook to do all it can on it's current (or slightly updated) board with the most you can get from a G4-centered (ugh) computer. Once it is the only Apple laptop with a G4, they can max out the machine. Then there is the G5 iMac situation... but I digress. If the PB remains a G4 for awhile, I don't see much more than a crippled G4 for the next round.

Methinks someday there will be an iBook with a G5 1.6, but that may be 12-18 months away. I think the case is doing the job well. I do not think that we will see DVD burning, to protect Powerbook sales. A 1x drive would just be there, but so slow it would frustrate people.

But I do wonder... what good are iDVD and iMovie if you have one (brand new) Mac with no Superdrive? Maybe room for arguement there? Meaning, do we try to get consumers hooked with dangling a Superdrive, at the risk of tanking the PB sales?

Some earlier discussions... in putrified threads...

Here...

Here...

For more (much older discussion, search for "ibook" in Future Hardware, limited to titles only. As far back as Dec 2001.)

My land, it is late... Jubelum going on a snipe hunt for dead iBook threads. Absinthe, my friend, Absinthe.

• Reply 2 of 33
    fulmerfulmer Posts: 171member
    Ya, I guess my ideas were based on the fact that I think the next rev PB (or at least the one after that) will have a G5... If not, I think we'll get the same old crippled "upgrade"
  • Reply 3 of 33
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Well I don't expect anything dramatic until the PB's get G5. the I expect to see the iBooks performing to the extent that the G4 can, ie faster clock speeds and more cache provided that the cost implications are not great as Apple will want to keep the costs and price low.

I have read a rumour that the iBook will go 13.3" widescreen which if true would leave the top to bottom height at about 7 inches but the width would be around 11.2 inches. I can't believe this would happen ahead of the 12" PB going widescreen as I think it would cripple PB sales. Frankly with the pallet driven apps which dominate the mac platform I would welcome this change it really makes utter sense. Sony has already made this move on many of it's own small lap tops.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    fulmerfulmer Posts: 171member
    If Apple went all wide screen for their notebooks, that would be GREAT! 8)

I'm waiting to see what the next rev has before I buy. I have the cash in hand, just waiting... waiting ... waiting... for something to say "BUY ME!!!"
  • Reply 5 of 33
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fulmer If Apple went all wide screen for their notebooks, that would be

I've been wishing that for a good 18 months now. But I don't know. I suppose the 4:3 of the iBooks are perfect for what they do.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fulmer

..... just waiting... waiting ... waiting... for something to say "BUY ME!!!"

Id agree with you from a PBook customers point of view, the iBook got the G4 recently and is quite a good deal, but really it should have a G4 @ 1.25G by now, its just being held up by the PB.

The PB's should be G5 @ 1.6G or higher. So like you Im hanging on to my Ti400 till then.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Yeah, all depends on the powerbooks.

If they go G5 on the next rev (and who knows if they will or not) then I think you'd see them go immediately to 1.25 or higher G4.

On a related note, new comps must be forthcoming pretty soon.

If you don't count the X-serve, which is a whole different animal, nothing has been updated since november.

Apple's front page doesn't have one computer for crying out loud!
  • Reply 8 of 33
    jaddiejaddie Posts: 110member
    Dear Friends

How many of you believe we'll return to a colorful case?

I regret not buying my wife the lime G3 iBook.

Sincerely,

Jaddie
  • Reply 9 of 33
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    making the ibook a widescreen will leave the 12" powerbook alone on the ultra compact scene. Sales of 12" pbs would be marginally affected because there would still be significant advantages to the PB: bluetooth, more RAM, faster RAM, better processor.

A wide screen 13.3 ibook could drop the line to one model size and maybe 5.5 lbs.

$1099 256RAM/40gb/combo/ati 9600 32

$1299 256/60/combo/bt/ati 9600 32

$1499 256/60/super/bt/ati 9600 32

and clockspeeds from 1ghz-1.4ghz

on the powerbook front

$1599 12"/1.4g5/256/40gb/superdrive/ae/ati 9700 64

$1899 15"/1.4g5/512/60/combo/ae/backlight/ati 9700 64

$2399 15" 1.6g5/512/super/ae/backlight/ati 9700 128mb/ae

$2799 17" same specs as 15"
  • Reply 10 of 33
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Thinner, extremely thin and light.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Thinner, extremely thin and light.

Are you talking sub-notebook thin and light? I hope not. I never want to see Apple make one of those things. But thin and light are always good.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    I would imagine, say 3.5 lbs and .7 or .8 inches thin.

Oh yes, and 3 choices of color. White aluminum, Blue iPod mini, and Green iPod mini.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jade

making the ibook a widescreen will leave the 12" powerbook alone on the ultra compact scene. Sales of 12" pbs would be marginally affected because there would still be significant advantages to the PB: bluetooth, more RAM, faster RAM, better processor.

A wide screen 13.3 ibook could drop the line to one model size and maybe 5.5 lbs.

$1099 256RAM/40gb/combo/ati 9600 32

$1299 256/60/combo/bt/ati 9600 32

$1499 256/60/super/bt/ati 9600 32

and clockspeeds from 1ghz-1.4ghz

on the powerbook front

$1599 12"/1.4g5/256/40gb/superdrive/ae/ati 9700 64

$1899 15"/1.4g5/512/60/combo/ae/backlight/ati 9700 64

$2399 15" 1.6g5/512/super/ae/backlight/ati 9700 128mb/ae

$2799 17" same specs as 15"

Id take the PB G51.6G 15" NOW!.

I like the simplicity of all ibooks as 13.3" - but I think there is too much demand for a smaller footprints for the all important education business. The 12" allows apple to continue to maintain this price point and be competitive for this particular market.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Are you talking sub-notebook thin and light? I hope not. I never want to see Apple make one of those things. But thin and light are always good.

I do. I want one. But it looks like I'm going to have to go for the iBook + Mac G5 combo instead of a subnotebook + Mac G5.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    As much as I'd like to pick up the next Rev iBook, I'll never buy one until it gets true monitor spanning.

No reason for Apple not unlock this feature to be more competitive against PC notebooks. If they're worried about it infringing on PB territory, perhaps they can limit the resolution of the external monitor.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

I would imagine, say 3.5 lbs and .7 or .8 inches thin.

Oh yes, and 3 choices of color. White aluminum, Blue iPod mini, and Green iPod mini.

Hmm what better to accompany the iPod mini colors but iBook colors? I think this is a great idea!!! Make one or two colors standard and then allow the other colors to be BTO through Apple stores or Apple.com!
  • Reply 17 of 33
    tak1108tak1108 Posts: 222member
    if they also sold reasonably priced displays, they would get an additional sale of a monitor, if they had monitor spanning.

I love the idea of the iBook going to 3 colors.

Here was my first thought when I read the subject:

At the rate they are going with PowerMac updates and PowerBook G5, we will never see another rev of the iBook.

But I'm just angry. My company is waiting to buy 2 of the new PowerMacs with new Displays the SECOND they are introduced.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tak1108

But I'm just angry. My company is waiting to buy 2 of the new PowerMacs with new Displays the SECOND they are introduced.

I must agree here. I am waiting to buy one too.... with a new display. Either that or when the iMac's get G5's.....
  • Reply 19 of 33
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    since the Ibook is aimed at the lower end, perhaps this is more of a PB option, but i would love to see a finger print scanner for boot pretection, the thing gets lifted, they aint breaking through that, and if they do crack the case and conect the drive to a seprate unit, file vault saves ya
  • Reply 20 of 33
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jaddie

Dear Friends

How many of you believe we'll return to a colorful case?

I regret not buying my wife the lime G3 iBook.

Sincerely,

Jaddie

IMHO, that was a mistake bigger than the preforma, the things were ugly nasty and tacky, noy to mention, the flimsy cheesy feel of the thing because it was a weird shape, and the handle, what were they thinking?

if they retain the same shape and size, however color would be ok as long as white (or egg or snow or whatever it is now) is still offered