Small Business Technology Shopping

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi everyone, I am working on a little project. I want to get a little bit of insight on how people shop for and choose technology for their home office and small business.

Your answers can reflect personal experieince or how you think you would handle the following scenarios. Here are the key questions.

Where do you start your research? Where do you plan to buy the products? If you selected a big box retailer, did you encounter knowledgeable associates who were able to recommend a full solution? If you had to do it all over would you use the same approach? How long did it take from research to purchasing to get your office set up? Did you feel like there were enough resources to aid in your decision? Would you feel comfortable letting someone else select and buy your products for you, based on your needs and specifications?

1. You are starting a small real estate company. You need a couple of computers, a wireless network set up and a small server to host your applications.

2. You are setting up your new home office for your freelance design business, and you need direction for choosing the right products and set-up for your career.

3. You are looking for the best deal on equipment and you check out Fry's, Best Buym Compusa, online retailers and mom and pop shops.

Thank you for your insights, your help is appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    well, being into video and all that, apple was the obvious choice for me for a lot of things. i just figured out what i was comfortable with through hours of messing around in programs, and i know what i need to get the job done.

right now i wouldn't let anyone come near my projects, but i suppose that could change with time.

in all honestly, apple offers the bets integration of wireless tech, etc IMO. i think trying to find all the best deals and buying tons of 3rd party projects (more than necessary) is just going to give you headaches.

i hope this helps.