plist corruption tests

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
There is an interesting discussion about testing for plist file corruption at:

Macintouch plist info

My question is: Shouldn't this be in OS X? It would seem a simple fix to implement, and plist corruption is a common problem.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    It *is* in OSX. That's how you're able to run the script without having to download anything.

Now, if you want a *GUI* for it... that's something different.

In the meantime, copy the script of your choice from that page into a text file, save that text file as CheckPlists.command, and place that file into ~/Library/Scripts/ Enable Script Menu, and voila - you have one-click access to it.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

It *is* in OSX. That's how you're able to run the script without having to download anything.

Now, if you want a *GUI* for it... that's something different.

In the meantime, copy the script of your choice from that page into a text file, save that text file as CheckPlists.command, and place that file into ~/Library/Scripts/ Enable Script Menu, and voila - you have one-click access to it.

Yes, you can use CLI or a script to accomplish this. What I was referring to is some type of maintenance procedure in the OS so I don't have to type the command and run it. Or in the absence of that, a function similar to "repair permissions". Many users are not well-versed in CLI procedures, and plist corruption is a common problem (why?). I'm just suggesting an easier way to do it for every day users.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mcsjgs

Yes, you can use CLI or a script to accomplish this. What I was referring to is some type of maintenance procedure in the OS so I don't have to type the command and run it. Or in the absence of that, a function similar to "repair permissions". Many users are not well-versed in CLI procedures, and plist corruption is a common problem (why?).

Developers that don't validate their pref data on read and/or write is the usual culprit, combined with misuse of the CFXML calls.

Quote:

I'm just suggesting an easier way to do it for every day users.

Agreed. But that's not what you said.

I'm even at a loss as to where to put such a button to be honest. Disk Utility? Nope, it's got nothing to do with the disk. (Then again, permissions only barely do IMHO.) A 'Maintenance' panel in System Preferences that's a catch all for such things? *shrug*

Good pointer though. I also had a run of bad plists in /Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/... odd.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    I think your idea of a maintenance system pref is long overdue in OS X along with a function similar to anachron which would run the maintenance tasks regardless of when your computer was on.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

I'm even at a loss as to where to put such a button to be honest.

The OS should scan all system files periodically and give you a warning when it finds a corrupted file, or whatever other "code gone wild" it finds.

We are 2 decades past DOS. In computer years that's a very long time. The OS that should be aware of itself by now and let you know when it needs maintenance.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Double Post. Sorry.