What would YOU do with a 2.5 Terabyte RAM Disk?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Article Here at Techworld.

Quote:

US govt buys world's biggest RAM disk

2.5TB in solid state memory - but what's it for?

The US government has just bought the world's biggest ever solid state disk from Texas Memory Systems.

The 2.5TB system is "the largest SSD installation in the world by far, without question", the executive VP for TMS, Woody Hutsell, told Techworld.

The previous biggest one was under 500GB, he told us. At 2.5TB, it is roughly 10,000 times the size of the RAM in your PC.

All of a sudden my little 256MB Jump Drive feels so, well...little

How might this affect the future of storage? Seems to me it might be a new harbinger of things to come, especially after the price for solid state memory comes down.

Ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Now, we're not saying that the Department of Homeland Security is behind the purchase. Or that it is using the technology to search the various databases of people that it, the government, the NSA and the Pentagon possess. But all of them are based in Washington DC and there are of course some issues about Islamic terrorists already living in the States.

I love it when journalists do this. They say they are NOT saying something, when that is EXACTLY what they are saying... heh
  • Reply 2 of 5
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    mmmmmmmmmore music maybe?

• Reply 3 of 5
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    dude, that's friggin hilarious!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    burb, that is GREAT.