Time display stopping

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
It seems that after a little working on the computer the top right corner of the screen( the time display and the username) seem to stop working. The time doesnt change. Today its stopped at 4:55 PM. And when you put your mouse over you get that little circular wheel. I cant figure out what is causing it. It happens once every other day or so. I cant yet put my finger on the app that cuases it. Does anyone else have this problem? How can i fix it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Oh, easy. You just need to recompile Darwin with the "#include h-g-wells.h" line removed.

(Check for permission errors, disk corruption, hobgoblins? I dunno. Sounds odd. O_o)
  • Reply 2 of 9
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member

it might be evidence of time travel.

why would you want to destroy the evidence!!

check system prefs to see date and time settings (sync with timeserver, etc)
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Definitely evidence of time travel. Trust no one.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    watch donnie darko...
  • Reply 5 of 9
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

watch donnie darko...

or Golden Girls
  • Reply 6 of 9
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macrules101

It seems that after a little working on the computer the top right corner of the screen( the time display and the username) seem to stop working. The time doesnt change. Today its stopped at 4:55 PM. And when you put your mouse over you get that little circular wheel.

Check first if the time displayed in the System Preferences runs OK. If it is OK, then your problem should be a SystemUIServer crash, for some reason. If the System Preferences time too is frozen, then... watch out... a primordial black hole deforming spacetime may be near you .

Seriously now, if it happens again, you can try to kill the UI server in the terminal, it will be relaunched automatically:

killall SystemUIServer <enter>

But, unfortunately, this does not ensure that it will not happen again.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Using killall SystemUIServer <enter>

will this cause any possible errors, is it completely safe, or might there be any sideeffects.

Thanks.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macrules101

Using killall SystemUIServer <enter>

will this cause any possible errors, is it completely safe, or might there be any sideeffects.

No, nothing bad. You will notice for a couple of seconds that the menu bar items on the right disappear (because the UI server is being killed), to reappear just afterwards (because the UI server is relaunched automatically by the system). It is a way to refresh. I just tried it ( I am under 10.2.8 ) to verify, it works without any errors or side effects.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Thanks, when it happens again ill kill the UI, then i ll report how it went.

Wish yall a happy SPRING BREAK, YES JUST 1 more day!!!!!!!