PC buddy questions why iPod over Minidisc?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apart from the obvious form factor and user interface (which in my books means alot), I told him about the speed and the need to convert to ATRAC each time you want to load a song onto a minidisc.

Anything else I could mention?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    you can record with minidisks a LOT easier...

but you have to lug around blank disks...
  • Reply 2 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Uh... because with an iPod, you don't have to change discs every time you want to listen to a different playlist?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    tell him to use iTunes for a week and then imagine having that wherever he went without any extra steps...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I have a minidisk sitting in the closet that I haven't touched for a couple of years since I started using iTunes.

MD is slow to change tracks, doesn't feed back information about title and such as iPod does and you need to carry around a huge stack of disks to have reasonable selection.

One MD disk is roughly one CD unless you choose much higher compression rates. The 15GB iPod corresponds to roughly 300 CDs. Even the iPod mini carries the equivalent of something like 80 CDs.

MD is a format whose time has passed.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    MD can record. iPod can not. I am surprised it is taking years to add recording. Nevertheless the iPod is better for one reason: removable media, or the lack thereof.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

MD can record. iPod can not. I am surprised it is taking years to add recording. Nevertheless the iPod is better for one reason: removable media, or the lack thereof.

Some MD devices, some can't. You pay more for the ability to record. The newer iPods can record if you pay for the recording accessory. Not so much different.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    No, there's a huge difference. Any good MD player has an optical audio input, and an analog audio input. You can record high-quality audio from basically any source, just bring the right cable along. On the iPod side of things, you're limited to a very low-quality microphone. There's quite a big difference. If I wanted recording ability, I'd get an MD player. The iPod's microphone isn't really useful for anything more than recording personal memos or things like that.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

No, there's a huge difference. Any good MD player has an optical audio input, and an analog audio input. You can record high-quality audio from basically any source, just bring the right cable along. On the iPod side of things, you're limited to a very low-quality microphone.

I'd assume the FireWire/dock connector opens up the iPod to more possibilities than already exist.