Puccini = Painter?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I just read that Puccini banner at the top of the page and it reminded me of something:

I recently talked to my flatmate about concerts and she didn't know the difference between opera and a classical concert. It seemed to be news to her that there are concerts where nobody sings. I was quite shocked but maybe that's just me. Anyway, I would have thought even a comp sci student should know this, what do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I think that it came from public education. No one teached her, what an opera is in musical class (or she was too busy sleeping).

Now you are interest in classical music, and you learned that Puccini is not a mushroom, and that there is singers in Opera.

To be more precise you should notice that there is also some singers in Concert music, like the ninth of Beethoven of many Symphonia of Mahler. The difference is therefore not the singers, but Opera is supposed to be a mix between theater and music, and concert deals only with musics (there is not role play, althought we can doubt about this point when we see some maestro in actions )
  • Reply 2 of 3
    123123 Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

To be more precise you should notice that there is also some singers in Concert music, like the ninth of Beethoven of many Symphonia of Mahler. The difference is therefore not the singers, but Opera is supposed to be a mix between theater and music, and concert deals only with musics (there is not role play, althought we can doubt about this point when we see some maestro in actions )

I'm well aware of that. But she was surprised to hear that there are concerts without singers. We didn't even talk about drama or the lack thereof.

I know Puccini but to be honest, I can't stand operas (because, you guessed it, the theater component). "Concert deals only with musics" - I would't quite put it that way, I'd say "Concert deals [...] with musics". And opera... sometimes too .
  • Reply 3 of 3
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 123

I'm well aware of that. But she was surprised to hear that there are concerts without singers. We didn't even talk about drama or the lack thereof.

I know Puccini but to be honest, I can't stand operas (because, you guessed it, the theater component). "Concert deals only with musics" - I would't quite put it that way, I'd say "Concert deals [...] with musics". And opera... sometimes too .

I can't stand Opera either for the same reasons. But one time, i should watch one in live.