Powermac G5 dual 2ghz Crashing...help

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I recently purcahed one of the Virginia Tech's Dual 2ghz Powermacs, and it has been crashing quite often. Mostly while I have iTune running. I already did a hardware test, and re-installed the system software, did a clean install. Has anyone else exprienced the same thing? Is tis a software, or hardware issue? Help......I really don't want to go through the hassel of returning it.

Thanks,

Melatonin3

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    What we need is more info

Look in the crash logs, and post a common crash here (not all as that can be very loooooonnnnnnnggg).

Then someone might be able to track it down.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Have you tried removing the extra 3rd party RAM? Try running it with the Apple RAM and see what happens. Other than that, we need some more info as jwri004 said.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    noleli2noleli2 Posts: 129member
    Could be bad RAM. Of course, I blame almost all inexplicable crashes on bad RAM.

EDIT: Oops, got there too late.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

What we need is more info

Look in the crash logs, and post a common crash here (not all as that can be very loooooonnnnnnnggg).

Then someone might be able to track it down.

Thank you, I'll try that.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by opuscroakus

Have you tried removing the extra 3rd party RAM? Try running it with the Apple RAM and see what happens. Other than that, we need some more info as jwri004 said.

Removed the new RAM I installed when I got it, no change. I hoped that would do the trick. Thanks.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    do you have any crash logs you can show us?

also, have you tried turning it on and leaving it running, w/o any other apps?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

do you have any crash logs you can show us?

also, have you tried turning it on and leaving it running, w/o any other apps?

here are some of the recent crash logs:

A/Frameworks/HIServices.framework/Versions/A/HIServices

0x92dc0000 - 0x932bcfff com.apple.AppKit 6.3.1 (743.14)\t/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit

0x935d0000 - 0x938a6fff com.apple.CoreGraphics 1.203.12 (???)\t/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/CoreGraphics

0x939a0000 - 0x939b4fff libcups.2.dylib \t/usr/lib/libcups.2.dylib

0x939d0000 - 0x939d4fff libmathCommon.A.dylib \t/usr/lib/system/libmathCommon.A.dylib

0x93b50000 - 0x93bf5fff com.apple.audio.toolbox.AudioToolbox 1.3.1\t/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/Versions/A/AudioToolboxjavascript:smilie('')
  • Reply 8 of 11
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I've had my dual 2gig since October and it has had two system crashes. One Samba related and another doing OpenGL development. Safari used to crash all the time, but that has gone away since the 10.3.

Like others have said, random crashes have almost always been bad RAM in my experience, with improperly terminated/connected hard drive cables being second.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I figured it out. I was a hardware problem. Thank you to those who posted serious replies.

javascript:smilie('')
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by melatonin3

I figured it out. I was a hardware problem. Thank you to those who posted serious replies.

javascript:smilie('')

So what was the hardware problem?

Other G5 owners will be interested to hear your solution.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I have a Griffin Powerwave hooked up to it. I know, I know, It should have been one of the first things I tried, but I used the Powerwave with my Powerbook G4 and never had an issue. I know, they are very different machines. I wonder if 10.3.3 will let me use the Powerwave, I'll everyone know. Thanks again.