correct RAM?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
assuming i get the current 12" Apple powerbook, and i want to have 768 MB of total RAM, would this work?

512MB ? CT327971 DDR PC2100 CL=2.5 Non-parity

i got that from Crucial's website. assuming that works in the 12" 1Ghz powerbook, how do i install it? just unscrew the back cover and slide in the module?

thanks ahead for the help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Your answers can be found here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=52079

Page 63 explains adding memory. From that page:

Quote:

Installing Additional Memory

Your PowerBook comes with one memory slot that you access by removing the memory door on the bottom of the computer. Your PowerBook comes with 128 megabytes (MB) of Double Data Rate Random-Access Memory (DDR RAM) installed on the logic board and a 128 MB memory module in the memory slot. The memory slot can accept any memory module that meets the following specifications:

* Small Outline-Dual Inline Memory Module (SO-DIMM) format

* 1.25 inch or smaller

* 128, 256 or 512 MB

* 200-pin

* PC 2100 DDR 266 Type RAM

The following pages have step-by-step instructions with pictures that explain the memory replacement process.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    No, it won't work, because you don't have a free slot. You would have to remove the 128MB DIMM, giving you 640MB. If you want more RAM, you'd need a rather expensive 1GB DIMM.

I don't know why Apple solders 128MB and fills the slot, when it would probably be cheaper and certainly much more convenient for customers to solder 256MB and leave a free slot. (Even better if they actually had 2 slots, but that might be more difficult in the 12").
  • Reply 3 of 8
    gh0zttgh0ztt Posts: 42member
    Ummm.... the current 12" PowerBook comes with 256MB soldered in. I'm wondering though why the manual says PC2700 now, but Crucial and other sites list PC2100 as the only option. Anybody know what the deal is?

From manual:

Your computer comes with one memory slot that you access by turning your computer over and removing the four screws which secure the memory slot door. Your computer comes with 256 megabytes (MB) of Double Data Rate (DDR) Synchronous Dynamic Random-Access Memory (SDRAM) installed on the logic board. The memory slot can accept an SDRAM module that meets the following specifications:

? Double Data Rate Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module (DDR SO-DIMM) format

? 1.25 inch or smaller

? 256, 512, or 1024 MB

? 200-pin

? PC2700 DDR 266 Type RAM

The maximum amount of memory you can install in your PowerBook is 1.25 gigabytes (GB), using one 1024 MB DIMM in the memory slot.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    see, my understanding was that the 12" PB had 256MB built in, with one free RAM slot open. in that free RAM slot, one could put a 256, 512, or 1024 MB RAM stick. assuming i wanted to put in a 1024MB RAM stick: 256MB + 1024MB = 1.25 GB, right? or if i want to put in a 512 RAM stick: 256MB + 512MB = 768MB

am i missing something?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gh0ztt

I'm wondering though why the manual says PC2700 now, but Crucial and other sites list PC2100 as the only option. Anybody know what the deal is?

Are you sure that's for the 12" PowerBook? Let me reiterate my information, this time from Apple's store:

Quote:

You can increase the system memory of the 12-inch PowerBook G4 to up 1.25GB of memory using PC2100 SO-DIMMs (DDR266 SDRAM SO-DIMM). The 15-inch and 17-inch PowerBook G4s can be increased to 2 gigabytes (GB) of memory using PC2700 SO-DIMMs (DDR333 SDRAM SO-DIMM).

Performa636CD: You are correct.

The 12" PowerBook has 256 MB soldered in. You have one slot free. You can add up to 1 GB more RAM in that free slot.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    gh0zttgh0ztt Posts: 42member
    Yes, my previous post indicating PC2700 for the 12" is right from the PDF Getting Started Guide on my PB. Maybe Apple made a typo and it's supposed to be PC2100?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    those online manuals seem a bit dated...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Buy the Crucial! They guarantee it to work.