XLR 4-Track recording w/phantom power?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone have any good suggestions for getting a setup like this? I have a friend who wants to get some 4-track recording going, and he's leaning towards a Tascam 428. That doesn't have phantom power or XLR connectors, but adapters could be used as well as a power box. But, if there's a cleaner solution someone knows of I would love to hear it.

He's going to be using this with a laptop and it's to be portable, so the MOTU 828 looks to be out of the question as it's a rack piece. Is there anything similar for USB or Firewire that's 4-track only?

I used to keep up to date on this stuff but I'm no longer playing music with others and unfortunately don't need (want) 4-track recording anymore. Back then the 428 looked to be great. I seem to remember a few smaller deviced that were 4 in and 2 out devices, without some of the bells and whistles. I always was hoping for a small Firewire device as well, but I don't think anything ever came of it.

Are there even any 2 input analog devices that can be daisy chained?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Does his laptop have multiple USB channels? If so, he could get his four phantom-powered XLR jacks with two of these. All I did was poke around Tascam's site, so there may well be better solutions out there.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Well that looks really good. Can you actually plug two into a single machine or will they conflict with each other?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Well that looks really good. Can you actually plug two into a single machine or will they conflict with each other?

I don't know. They recommend unplugging everything else (except the keyboard and mouse) from that USB port when using it, but it doesn't say anything about what you can or can't plug into other channels. Call/email and ask.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    idebaseridebaser Posts: 121member
    Quote:

He's going to be using this with a laptop and it's to be portable, so the MOTU 828 looks to be out of the question as it's a rack piece. Is there anything similar for USB or Firewire that's 4-track only?

actually the MOTU 828mkII is very portable...it's shallow and durable and doesn't need a computer to work as a mixer (and comes w/ software to record your work)

but the real question is whether your friend needs a bus

powered recording solution or can it plug into the wall???

that Tascam 428 doesn't look bus powered...

also, most importantly, what is his budget? you can get firewire inputs w/ phantom power and is bus powered like the m-audio 410...
  • Reply 5 of 18
    His budget is in flux. He'll ultimately buy what he needs, but doesn't want to waste his money. I could probably convince him to get the 828mkII, but he doesn't need more than 4 tracks and probably never will.

He will have access to power, so luckily the device doesn't need to be bus powered. I say he needs phantom power because the mics he's picked out require it. I know whatever device he gets he can add a preamp (or whatever it's called) to power the mics so it's not a big deal, but would just be easier if the audio box had it all, not essential.

The 410 looks really nice, but can it be used for 4 mics? It appears to only have 2 analog inputs. The Quattro USB looks to have 4 analog inputs.

The 828 is looking better and better, but probably a little out of his league in terms of features.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

His budget is in flux. He'll ultimately buy what he needs, but doesn't want to waste his money. I could probably convince him to get the 828mkII, but he doesn't need more than 4 tracks and probably never will.

He will have access to power, so luckily the device doesn't need to be bus powered. I say he needs phantom power because the mics he's picked out require it. I know whatever device he gets he can add a preamp (or whatever it's called) to power the mics so it's not a big deal, but would just be easier if the audio box had it all, not essential.

The 410 looks really nice, but can it be used for 4 mics? It appears to only have 2 analog inputs. The Quattro USB looks to have 4 analog inputs.

The 828 is looking better and better, but probably a little out of his league in terms of features.

the 410 has 2 mic inputs and two line inputs that can't be used at the same time...so it's kinda weird that way...(the other 2 inputs are the s/p dif)

edirol and m-audio make alot of portables for this job...maybe even the mbox would work for him...

how many condenser mics does he plan to use when recording?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDebaser

how many condenser mics does he plan to use when recording?

He's only using 4 mics simultaneously. It seems like the Tascam is the only 4 simultaneous input USB device.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

He's only using 4 mics simultaneously. It seems like the Tascam is the only 4 simultaneous input USB device.

check out the edirol Fa-101 firewire...this might work for him, too...
  • Reply 9 of 18
    The FirePod by PreSonus may be worth looking into... Costs I believe 699.99 msrp. Comes out actually in April, but here is a link I pulled up real quick-

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAM...R/FirePod.html

This is sort of the successor to the FireStation:

http://www.presonus.com/html/products/firestation.html

Which had 2 mic pres. Used tube pres however, so ya, it is pretty nice as well. Should be another alternative to consider, but I realize it is close to the price of the 828MKII anyways. But, of course this has 8 XLRS. Hope this helps!
  • Reply 10 of 18
    All of this info has been helpful so far. If nothing else it's directing me towards a number of websites with good products that I hadn't seen before.

The Firewire options still seem to be the only ones with 4+ simultaneous inputs. That makes me a little nervous about the 428.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

All of this info has been helpful so far. If nothing else it's directing me towards a number of websites with good products that I hadn't seen before.

The Firewire options still seem to be the only ones with 4+ simultaneous inputs. That makes me a little nervous about the 428.

I think 4 24bit 48KHz channels is the most USB 1.x can handle. Which is one reason I loathe USB for audio stuffs.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

I think 4 24bit 48KHz channels is the most USB 1.x can handle. Which is one reason I loathe USB for audio stuffs.

I loathe USB for audio as well, but it would be the most convenient solution for the time being. If 4 24bit channels is the most that's possible, that just happens to be exactly what he needs. So, usually a USB device is cheaper than its Firewire cousin and that's why I'm willing to recommend a USB device.

So far the Tascam 428 appears to be the only USB device that can record 4 channels simultaneously. All of the Firewire devices look much, much better, but do more than he needs.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

I loathe USB for audio as well, but it would be the most convenient solution for the time being. If 4 24bit channels is the most that's possible, that just happens to be exactly what he needs. So, usually a USB device is cheaper than its Firewire cousin and that's why I'm willing to recommend a USB device.

So far the Tascam 428 appears to be the only USB device that can record 4 channels simultaneously. All of the Firewire devices look much, much better, but do more than he needs.

Hmmm... I was just looking at the 428 again. You do know that only two of its four inputs are XLR, right?
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

Hmmm... I was just looking at the 428 again. You do know that only two of its four inputs are XLR, right?

Yes, but I can buy adapters for the other two. The fact that it's 4 simultaneous analog inputs is enough. Even 4 RCA ports would be OK.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

Yes, but I can buy adapters for the other two. The fact that it's 4 simultaneous analog inputs is enough. Even 4 RCA ports would be OK.

And the adaptors plus the external phantom power units will be less than the difference between the 428 and a firewire solution? Just checking, cause it really sucks to buy the wrong gear.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    resres Posts: 711member
    The Metric Halo Moble I/O 2882 will give you 8 analog inputs and phantom power.

The Metric Halo line will give you the best mic preamps in their price range, and there is nothing better for a portable set up.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Just checking, cause it really sucks to buy the wrong gear.

No ****.

Seriously though, that's why I've come here. A Firewire solution means he needs to buy a Firewire card for his laptop, or buy his Mac now. We're trying to leverage all options so he can space out his purchases.

I think he's just going to have to buy a Firewire device. That'll be my final recommendation. For today.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    sunreinsunrein Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Anyone have any good suggestions for getting a setup like this? I have a friend who wants to get some 4-track recording going, and he's leaning towards a Tascam 428. That doesn't have phantom power or XLR connectors, but adapters could be used as well as a power box. But, if there's a cleaner solution someone knows of I would love to hear it.

I used to keep up to date on this stuff but I'm no longer playing music with others and unfortunately don't need (want) 4-track recording anymore. Back then the 428 looked to be great. I seem to remember a few smaller deviced that were 4 in and 2 out devices, without some of the bells and whistles. I always was hoping for a small Firewire device as well, but I don't think anything ever came of it.

Are there even any 2 input analog devices that can be daisy chained?

I've got a Digidesign Digi002 rack system that would be a good fit for your friend. It provides four channels with XLR connections and excellent phantom pre-amps. I'm not sure why you think a rack solution isn't portable. The Digi002 is a 2U rack device and fits into portable rack cases. I love it. It gives me something to set my laptop on when I'm recording. Portable rack cases are smaller than a lot of suitcases. I'm able to carry an entire studio with me (laptop in my backpack, rack case in one hand, case with mics, stands, etc. in the other hand). It's a kick-ass setup.

I don't recommend USB devices at all.