Opinion on printer

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So I am in the market for a new printer. As an all around printer, what are your opinions on the Canon i550. A good feature is replacement ink isn't that expensive. How LARGE are the black refills though. Can I use the bottle refill like on the older Canon printers. It is C$125+tax new but I can get them for C$60+tax refurb with 1 year warranty. What do you recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    I have been looking around for a new printer as well...and looking for advice here on AI.

A lot of the recent "I Need a Printer Recommendation" threads seem to have received few responses. Maybe people don't have a strong opinions on this, or maybe this topic has been around these boards a little too long for people to get excited about it.

But some of us still want to know, so I just did a search and the following was the longest thread that I found, over the past year, on printer recommendations:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...ght=printer%2A

I vaguely recall that there was another good - and more extensive - printer recommendation thread last fall, but I was not able to find it.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Canon is great.

The i960 is the best printer you can get in non-wide-format. Heavily used by pro photographers.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    resres Posts: 711member
    I second that. If you want to print photos the i960 is great, and it also does an ok job on text.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Disclaimer: I currently represent Epson as my job.

That said, if you're set on the Canon, you're going to do great on ink. Canon has some of the cheapest ink carts on the market right now. Especially in the i550.

For comparison, the closest Epson model is probably the C84. The black cart is about $30, while the three color carts are about $12 apiece. Canon's color carts are the same price, however their black cart is only about $15. Quite a steal, there. The black carts in both are about the same size, roughly twice the capacity of the color carts.

In contrast, the Canon has a slightly lower print resolution. But, in that price range, it's still a great image.

I think you'd be happy with the i550, especially if the ink cart prices are the most important factor for you. However, I'd avoid the refills if I were you. Especially on the Canon, since its ink carts contain the print head, making it even harder to refill without risking damage to the cart and/or printer.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    FWIW.... Back in the fall of 2000, I worked for OfficeMax in their electronics department. We didn't sell Canon at my store, but the Epsons and Lexmarks were constantly (as in almost daily) breaking down. The HPs were nearly flawless. I don't know if that's still how things are though.