Help! iBook boots to OF!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So tonight I applied the screen spanning hack with Screen Spanning Doctor to my 800 mhz G4 iBook. Works great, EXCEPT, the iBook now boots up into open firmware and I have to type boot-mac to get it to start. Does anyone know a fix for this? Also, was wondering if there is a way to get the menu bar on my external display, but to use the 12" screen as the secondary one so to speak? It is kind of awkward to have the menu bar on the smaller screen. Thanks a bunch for the help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Whoa, I feel dumb. Jut realized you can simply drag over the menu bar in the settings. Still need help with the OF thing however. Gonna try reset-nvram perhaps... Suggestions are VERY welcome!
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Did reset-nvram and reset-all to no avail. Had to reapply hack of course, but still boots to OF.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Well, I have the same ibook and applied the same hack my reboots are fine - no OF problems. Sorry about that. Have you tried contacting the Spanning Hack programmer?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Maybe zap the PRAM? Reminds me of the old days with Autoexec.bat on Windows where you could just tell Windows to boot automatically.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    On an iBook, how do you zap the pram? I repared permissions today, and it had some stuff to fix so it fixed the permissions of course, but still boots to OF. Rgh, this is sure driving me crazy.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Apple+option+p+r. Hold those down as you restart and it'll zap your pram...but I doubt that will help. Why is your mac booting so much anyway...checking my uptime now it's at over two days (last time I restarted was because of a printer problem, before that I hadn't restarted since the last software updates I did a few weeks ago). However, the OF thing causes a security problem...and OF is a dangerous place to be. Sorry I can't tell you more, you can try the pram zap, but I doubt it'll do anything.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Why is it restarting so much? It's not that, it is running as solid as a rock but of course it had to be rebooted to apply the spanning hack and then did a few more times trying things. The reason this is a problem for me is I plan to sell the iBook whenever new models of the Powerbooks are released.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Okay, zapped the Pram and it still has the same problem. (And of course as a result of zapping the Pram I had to reapply the display hack). I am beginning to think that perhaps my problem is unrelated to the hack, just maybe. Anyways, here is the error OF seems to hang on:

Method <SetQuietEnable> not found; ihandle=0 phandle=0

Thanks.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i'm pretty sure that theres an autoboot OF parameter of some kind. when you are at the openfirmware prompt, theres a few commands to remember. among the more important ones is "printenv". much like in a shell, printenv prints out a bunch of vars and their values. at the OF prompt, do printenv, and look for an autoboot (maybe "auto-boot", or similar) variable. next, you'll have to toggle it. iirc, its probably a "true" or "false", but it might be "1" or "0". so, assuming its named "autoboot" and currently set to "false", we are going to set it to "true" (if it was "0", then we'd be setting it to "1"). to change its value, at the OF prompt, type "setenv autoboot true" (replace "autoboot" with the exact var name discovered from printenv, and replace "true" with "1" if appropriate). after that, you can "mac-boot", or "halt". mac-boot will do a normal startup, and halt will stop the processor. either way you are probably going to want to try a cold boot, to make sure it is autoboot'ing.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Thanks for all your guys help! Here is how I solved it. Tried your suggestions, Thu Freak, to no avail. Auto boot was enabled. So I unplugged everything from the unit, took the battery out, and let it sit for a minute. Put battery back in, booted it up and it worked! So I shut it down to try again and in the process plugged back in my USB Hub. Then it messed up again! So I tried unlplugging the hub and it worked! Then I unplugged everything from the hub and it worked again! So, it appears it is an issue with my HP 2410 all in one printer! Thanks for all your help, now I gotta figure out what the heck is happening. I had no issues like this with my G4 Cube. So I guess this had nothing to do with the spanning hack, it was because last night I finally moved all the way from my Cube and plugged the hub in and had no reason to restart until I started messing with the OF patch. Thanks again!
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Maybe it just needs a driver.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    If it was hanging on booting the OS I would think that could be the case, but because it is in OF. And it does work fine once booted. (The printer).